Best cooler fit for 14' Otter with NRS frame. - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2019   #1
 
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 84
Best cooler fit for 14' Otter with NRS frame.

...the best fit I've found so far is the Yeti Tundra 65. It has a lip underneath the lid that the cooler will hang from on the frame cross bars, and the bottom has a few inches of clearance from the floor.

Does any one else make a similar sized cooler designed to hang in a frame. Most everything else I am finding is too tall to hang from the frame on a 14 foot boat.

I am hoping to find something a bit cheaper than the Yeti, and I also don't like the way the Yeti latches are positioned so that they hit the frame cross bar.

__________________
www.northidahorivers.com
Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-16-2019   #2
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 178
Iíve used a canyon prospector 103 in my 13 ft raft for years. Itís snug width wise and maybe an inch or so between the cooler and the floor. I donít know your wireframe but a 65 in a 14 ft boat seems really small to me.
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019   #3
 
MT4Runner's Avatar
 
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by theusualsuspect View Post
Iíve used a canyon prospector 103 in my 13 ft raft for years. Itís snug width wise and maybe an inch or so between the cooler and the floor.
Prospector 103 is 37.5" width on top, 36.75" below the lip. It's a great fit for midsize boats.
(The Navigator 150 is huge...I wish they'd bring out something in the 120-130qt range)



Quote:
I donít know your wireframe
NRS.com says it's 37" width between the tubes.



Quote:
but a 65 in a 14 ft boat seems really small to me.
Agree.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-16-2019   #4
 
Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
 
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,215
Do you have the 140 or 142? They are similar, with one being about 6" narrower.

Either way, the Yeti 65 won't take up the full width so I'd say go bigger. I have the Canyon Coolers Prospector as well and really like it. Designed for rafters by rafters and has some cool features like a lip designed to sit on a raft frame with slots to strap it down and still be able to open the top. It also has a drain on the long side so you don't have to squeeze your hands between the tubes and the cooler to drain it. Lifetime warranty but still cheaper then the Yeti stuff. If you have the Otter 140, which NRS website says is 45" wide between tubes, you could probably fit the Canyon Coolers Navigator which is the Prospectors bigger brother. It might be a little tall though...not sure what the interior height on these boats are.

If you are set on Yeti...the 110 seems like a good fit for the Otter 142. Yeti 125 or you could maybe just barely squeeze a 160 in but it would be tight.

RTIC makes clones of the Yeti coolers and are half the price for 85% of the build quality and design.

I still like Canyon Coolers the most though. Reasonably priced, well designed, and made specifically for rafting.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019   #5
 
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 84
I have the 140 which is 7' wide to the outside of the tubes.

I should have mentioned that I'm just looking for a day cooler. I have another set up already for multi-days. Thats one reason I was looking in the 60 to 70 quart range. Looking for something that easier to get in and out of the boat. A couple of my local day runs have crappy access and involve some lugging.

I really like the looks of the Canyon coolers, and I've already had my eye on the 103. Unfortunately, from the top rail on my frame to my floor is only about 12.75 and the 103 is 13.73 from the base to the rim that sits on the frame, so I'd kind if lose the "hanging" effect.

Really appreciate all the ideas. Thanks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Do you have the 140 or 142? They are similar, with one being about 6" narrower.

Either way, the Yeti 65 won't take up the full width so I'd say go bigger. I have the Canyon Coolers Prospector as well and really like it. Designed for rafters by rafters and has some cool features like a lip designed to sit on a raft frame with slots to strap it down and still be able to open the top. It also has a drain on the long side so you don't have to squeeze your hands between the tubes and the cooler to drain it. Lifetime warranty but still cheaper then the Yeti stuff. If you have the Otter 140, which NRS website says is 45" wide between tubes, you could probably fit the Canyon Coolers Navigator which is the Prospectors bigger brother. It might be a little tall though...not sure what the interior height on these boats are.

If you are set on Yeti...the 110 seems like a good fit for the Otter 142. Yeti 125 or you could maybe just barely squeeze a 160 in but it would be tight.

RTIC makes clones of the Yeti coolers and are half the price for 85% of the build quality and design.

I still like Canyon Coolers the most though. Reasonably priced, well designed, and made specifically for rafting.
__________________
www.northidahorivers.com
Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019   #6
 
Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
 
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I have the 140 which is 7' wide to the outside of the tubes.

I should have mentioned that I'm just looking for a day cooler. I have another set up already for multi-days. Thats one reason I was looking in the 60 to 70 quart range. Looking for something that easier to get in and out of the boat. A couple of my local day runs have crappy access and involve some lugging.

I really like the looks of the Canyon coolers, and I've already had my eye on the 103. Unfortunately, from the top rail on my frame to my floor is only about 12.75 and the 103 is 13.73 from the base to the rim that sits on the frame, so I'd kind if lose the "hanging" effect.

Really appreciate all the ideas. Thanks.
Ah...well then a 60 is probably great. I have the Canyon 55 and it works well for that kinda duty. The soft coolers work great as day coolers too and easy to stow and nice and soft and easy to lug around and will easily keep stuff cold for a day or two. Might be worth looking into. RTIC makes a decent one for a reasonable price and lots of other options from Yeti pricing to cheap chinese stuff.

I agree with MT4runner in that I would love if Canyon expanded
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019   #7
 
MT4Runner's Avatar
 
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
I agree with MT4runner in that I would love if Canyon expanded

And add the steel pins in the lid/body of the Prospector like the Navigator has.


But...minor details. They really have hit a home run with that design. Even without the pins on the Prospector, it has a great shape and volume distribution. The rise in the center to keep it off the raft floor, the center drain, the hanging lip and latches that don't hit your bars. Really thinking on that one. Well done, Canyon.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019   #8
 
Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
 
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,215
haha...I totally didn't finish that sentence did I?

It should have said that I agree that Canyon should expand the product line with one in between the Navigator and Prospector and another one smaller then the Prospector. I'd love one that fits in a Mini-Max or similar sized boat.

I do like the pins. It sort of has them for the rear hinge, but not the same as the Navigator. Looks like it would work well for holding down a pad or something but still allow you open the lid without unstrapping.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019   #9
 
MT4Runner's Avatar
 
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
haha...I totally didn't finish that sentence did I?

It should have said that I agree that Canyon should expand the product line with one in between the Navigator and Prospector and another one smaller then the Prospector. I'd love one that fits in a Mini-Max or similar sized boat.

I knew what you meant!


The Outfitter 55 with a ledge and lid pins would come very close to those requirements...and would be close to fitting lengthwise in the rower's bay of a 16'-18' boat for a day cooler.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019   #10
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 75
I have an otter 140 and ordered this (use a coupon for 25% off). It fits perfect across my rower bay sitting on the handles with a 1’ strap through the handles to the frame. (Now it’s a pita to open my canyon and my drybox when set up for a multi day- but love it as a day cooler)

ETA I got the small, not the medium I linked to at first
https://www.sierra.com/cordova-small...prod-prod591MA
kayakingkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.