Best 11-12' foot raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-27-2009   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Best 11-12' foot raft

I'm buying a small raft and would like to fish with three people in the smallest raft possible. The Mini-max at 10'4" just is to small.

What are my next options for a good price?

Thanks!

hainess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009   #2

Cody, Wyoming
consider 13'

i have an older model NRS raft, the Otter 11.5 (the model prior to the current Otter 120). my 11.5 model would be very, very tight for fishing 3 people (front seat, stern seat, and captain chair). my current fishing frame only has the elevated front swivel seat, and the raft is tight for two of us with a day's worth of gear and a softside cooler. i don't think the additional space in a 12' boat at more/less the same width (the 11.5 and 120 both use a 48" NRS frame) would give enough extra room to comfortably accommodate 3 people.

if your desire is to fish a crew of 3 (2 fishing, 1 rowing), i would suggest a 13' raft as your minimum size. i think the NRS Otter series is a good choice at a more reasonable price for recreational use, but it seems they do not hold up to commercial abuse well based on posts from other users. i now own two Otters, the 2004 11.5 for fishing and play/paddle boating and a new 2009 Otter 150 for big water and overnights. just my 2c, later.
pbowman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #3

Cody, Wyoming
don't know the guys, but someone in your backyard has a 13' Otter on craigs list: 13' NRS Otter Raft w/ Fishing frame

not sure if this qualifies as a "good price" unless it includes oars and everything else, but at least its less than retail. later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009   #4

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I suggest the Super Puma, 13' but quite narrow, I don't fish it often, but you can comfortably run a paddle crew of 5 ........so 3 fishing shouldn't be an issue.

There is a full setup on the Classifieds right now.
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #5

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Issue is Width?

So to be comfortable with 3 fisherpeople I would need a frame that is wider than 48"?

Thanks for the input
hainess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #6

Cody, Wyoming
boat size and specs determine frame size
(overall raft width) - (tube diameter) = (minimum frame width)

if you run a smaller frame, the risk is it will slide into the boat if it should move or shift in a rapid, or if a strap loosened. the frame side rail should sit at (or slightly outside of) the mid-point of the main tubes. most 13' boats are around 6 to 6.5' wide with 18 or 19" tubes.

as a specific example, the NRS 13' boats are 6' 2" wide with 18" tubes (74" - 18" = 56") and NRS recommends a 60" frame width for these boats.

when you say "3 fisherpeople" do you mean 3 people holding rods along with the oarsman, for a total of 4 people in the boat? most fishing frames are set up with 2 fishing seats only, and adding a 3rd would be nearly impossible if you are fly fishing. could be a little easier with two people up front spin fishing, and sharing a flat seat or cooler to sit on.

if you are hoping to fish from the captain's chair, i would advise against it unless you are literally in lake flat water. when i am rowing with a person fishing up front, i am constantly adjusting boat position due to current shifts and eddy lines to put them on the most productive water. if i drop an oar to try to fish, it seems like we are out of position or into the bank fairly quick even on slow moving water. i just let them fish while i stay properly intoxicated, and switch turns in the fishing chair after a few fish each turn. just my experience on the rivers i fish, could be different for others with better skills or less beers.
Old 09-28-2009   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
12 foot Hyside or NRS with a 4-bay frame, the front and back bays decked, the cooler in front of the rower. Get a breakdown frame and it'll all fit in a small sedan.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #8

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hainess13 View Post
So to be comfortable with 3 fisherpeople I would need a frame that is wider than 48"?

Thanks for the input

I was assuming 3 people total in the boat, the captain (oarsman) and 1 in front and 1 in back.

If it was really 4 people, that might be very tight for fishing in a Super Puma.

Someone else should chime in as I am not a big fisher, it is usually just me and the gf in my Super Puma.
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting