Mountain Buzz banner

Avon raft identification

13K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  raymo 
#1 ·
Hello new raft owner here trying to figure out what model Avon I have. It’s 14ft, 3 thwarts and is a bucket boat. Any help is appreciated

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
The last 2 numbers of the serial are the year of manufacture..
I thought this was the case as well when I got an old 16' Avon bucket boat that I thought was from 1985, but further research indicated that Avon didn't use leafield valves until 1999... which my boat has and his boat seems to from the pics. Older boats had military valves.

https://www.nrs.com/repair/boat_reference_chart.asp

#6 ·
This boat caught my interest too. From the extra black chafing material around the whole top of the tubes and extra wide and longer black skid material on the bottom, definitely professionally applied or factory installed. Boat owner must of had a special purpose in mind for it's use. The large number glued on, could mean there was more than just the one built. May be military, commercial, etc. use. Are you sure it's an Avon, it looks like one. Maybe one of our expert boat repare crew could help us out here.(Zach)

#9 ·
HIN's (Hull Identification NUmber) can be confusing around this vintage of boat... NRS actually has a pretty comprehensive discussion:

https://www.nrs.com/learn/identify-your-boat.asp

After 1984 things got simpler, but I think there was still the use of letters to designate the month of manufacture/compliance up into the 90's...

Coast Guard assigns HIN's and has a very comprehensive database... which the great state of Newtah either doesn't recognize or access (...those sneaky feds, could be a plot to usurp state's authority). At least when I try to register my Incept, which has a CG designation ("INC"), the DMV can't find it... so it's "unknown" on my registration (which is required only when I carry a motor).

#10 ·
HIN's (Hull Identification NUmber) can be confusing around this vintage of boat... NRS actually has a pretty comprehensive discussion:

https://www.nrs.com/learn/identify-your-boat.asp
Interesting... this would suggest my boat is an 85, but the link I posted above suggests that the presence of leaffield valves implies post 1999.

Unless the valves were replaced? Mine are Avon branded valves with their logo on them, which suggested to me that they were the original valves, but who knows I guess.

#11 ·
"Avon branded" valves? Or valve covers? I've got several A4 and B series valves collected over the decades, and the boot arrangement may be proprietary to Avon ... but valve manufacturers supply anyone who will buy their product. Maravia puts their name on the valve cover - doesn't make it a "Maravia" valve...(also Leafields, I believe).

#14 ·
Seems to me that for a time Leafield valves were used in the recessed boots. Also seems to me that the "Ranger" model did not appear on the scene until after the French company that builds Zodiac purchased the Avon inflatable boat line and, at such time, changed the fabric. Past that, I agree that the Adventurer was generally classified as a 14' boat (actual length may have been different, e.g., the "16'" Pro was actually 15'10") BUT I've never seen an Adventurer with a 3-thwart arrangement so, not sure what to do with that. On the other hand, I've seen older Pros that came with the extra chafe-strip around the top, so this may have been a special order Adventurer set up for paddle boating. Regardless, if the dimensions are similar to the Adventurer (someone mentioned it looks a bit narrower?), it certainly looks like the original Avon double-sided hypalon fabric, with original Avon recessed boot/Leafield valves, and is undoubtedly a high-quality boat. Have fun with it. Don't worry about it not being self-bailing. Just finished yet another trip with my friend Jim up in Oregon who has been using his "dreaded" bucket-boat, a 1978 Avon, for the past 32 years w/o incident, on everything you can imagine, i.e., GC, Snake, Salmon, Deso, Westwater, Dolores, etc. Nothing wrong with a bucket boat. Just toss some water out from time to time. Indeed, sometimes a boat-full of water will save your bacon. It has for me (e.g., getting stuck in a maytag, the heavier the better).

#15 ·
Yep, mid-90's, before Zodiac took over, Avon did try the lighter grey. When all the colors came out, that was Zodiac and, I believe, no long the original fabric. Also, the recessed boot - - have one that cracked around the seam on an 88' Adventurer. G-Flex epoxy worked and is still holding after 2 seasons. Probably should replace it, someday . . . .

#17 ·
Buck you old dog..

Buck, I just put two and two together a few months ago(BCJ), how are you doing. Avon Adventurer, did have that black chafing material all the way around the top tubes, I've never owned an Avon, but know they are one hell of a boat. Had lunch with Yagermiser a few weeks ago, had an invite to run Cataract with them, but my health has been kicking my butt. He just got off the Grand a few weeks ago too, that would of been great too, they dump some of Doc's ashes there, with Jill, Doc's daughter. You going to the reunion, Yeager said he would drag my sorry ass up there this year. It would be nice to see you.

#18 ·
Avon

Yep, that is an Avon, with the same recessed valve boots I have on all four of mine made in the 80's. The thwarts look glued in, as on my 86. All of mine came with leafield valves as standard. In the latter 80's Avon began making the thwarts removable, but I don't know what year for sure. I too have seen the total chafer surround on other Avons. Given that your has three thwarts and no d-rings, added to the fact it is numbered, has a logo on the side, and additional reinforcing at the bottom, I would venture to say that it was most likely used for commercial paddle boating. And Zack was right about not being concerned with the bucket bottom. Until one rows a bucket boat they will never know how well they handle. Lower rigging can be a help on those long flat windy days. Try adding 100 buckets of water before running Lava down the right, dead center in the V-waves. What a hoot! Have fun..........

#20 ·
Raymo, I've seen your posts on here a time or two and LOL I think I remember playing Captain Puff Puff with you at Gary Young's place (Coors lights?) at least once! Plus, a trip or two in between somewhere along the way! Really good to see and hear all the old names and still boating (many) and well, I'm going to try to make the re-union but as always can't commit until I see where I am stationed for work at the time. Good on ya man! Keep on keepin' on! Lots of love you way!

Floating rivers changed my life for the better and forever!

#23 ·
Thanks Buck.

I remember those day's, good times. I see all these boats and discussion on MB, it warms my heart. I was up to six boats at one time, just down to one now, it's a 24 ft or 26 ft'er, I can't remember now, 33 inch tubes, three section wood floor and 25 hp Mercury I think. It's in a trailer at an old x's house. Hard to part with, D9 wants it to put in the history museum, if he ever gets it off it's feet. One good thing with those boats, you could just stand up and piss through a crack in the wood floor and still keep one hand on the throttle, wide open through a rapid and not miss a beat. Rafting in my blood too, brother. Hopping to see you. Good boating. Talk at you later.

#21 ·
Age does not make much difference to the Avon fabric, but other things do wear out, such as valve diaphragms, sometimes handles, sometimes Drings, sometimes the seam tape. The fabric itself could well be the longest lasting ever made. But there are lots of good boats out there. Float what you got. The old Udisco's can take you through too. It's all relative.

#22 ·
One or two handles have failed on my 16 footer, and the webbing looks suspect (faded from sun exposure) on my d rings, so I've added a couple more d rings and will add a couple more at the end of this season to use up my repair kit glue.

Not surprising considering it's age, but it holds air like a champ so I'm not complaining!

I got it to take on easier rivers with my growing family but some of the posts on here make me want to push it into some bigger water now and see how she does!

#24 ·
Looks like an Avon Ranger....I picked up a 2001 self bailing Avon Ranger this spring and it is configured with three thwarts. From an old web site, the Avon Ranger is listed as 14'2" in length, 6'6" width and 20" tubes. Mine actually has about 34" between the tubes and is slightly narrower.

#25 ·
So I picked this up in Indianapolis about a month ago. The lady who owned it was a guide in the Cumberland falls area in Kentucky and was just looking to find something self-bailing as her personal family boat and was ready to get it out of her garage! Are you ready for this? I ended up giving her 150 bucks for it and didn’t even realize what it was until we aired it up back in Tennessee. She told me she bought it off a man who had it set up for fishing with frame and oars, planning to get it set up for 2 adults/2kids multi day trips. Where would I find the vin and I will let you all know what it says. Also it will hold air about 30 hours before seeing a difference. Recommendations on glue for repair and glue for emergencies. She did send it with a patch and some rubber cement but I didn’t know if this would work with the hypalon material, maybe in a pinch. Thanks again for all the info everyone has shared!

#26 ·
That’s a pretty good score there, avontn.

Bostik glue is what Avon rafts were made with. Clavey used to carry it but I don’t think they bother anymore. Fantastic glue to work with, if you can find it. I did a one, done, never again restoration project of a Avon Ranger with it awhile back.

Stabond 2 part is what Hyside recommends these days for their boats so that’s what I’d use for at home type repairs.

throw in some 1part Shore adhesive for field repairs. Gonna get redone at home anyway.

#29 ·
Great idea...

Hi yardsells, that is actually a great idea running chaffers along the top of the tubes, because everyone drags items on the top of there tubes, loading and unloading (coolers, ammo cans, water jug's, cargo boxes, walking on with muddy and sandy shoes, etc.) and sharp sided items, plus the extra skid material on the bottom of the tubes definitely helps when dragging your boat on the ground or sliding down a long boat ramp, fully loaded. Heard you guys had some fantastic river trips, too much fun. Sure you guys had a toast for Doc, nice move I know he appreciated what you did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.