Avon Inflatable Kayak - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-26-2015   #1
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Avon Inflatable Kayak

Has anyone ever seen one of these? Did they make many? I really want one.

This would be a great thread for an IK forum, by the way....

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2015   #2
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
it appears to be shaped quite a bit like the sevylor sk100ds and the Aquaglide klikitat. I've not seen this Avon before, but it does remind me a lot of the two IK's I just mentioned. (I own both of the two I mentioned)
Old 10-26-2015   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Yep, the design looks like an old Force too, though it looks a lot like the Sevylor. I have seen an Avon "duckie" (larger, more Hyside-ish) style, but never an IK like this. I wonder how many they made and if they sold the design to one of the other manufacturers.

These flat, diminished boats do surf small waves well, but leave something to be desired in bigger water. Sotar, Aire, Thrillseeker, et al. have increased the kick for a reason. Still, it's an Avon and it's unique, so I'd buy one in a second if it ever popped up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2015   #4
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
There was one that was really light (22 lbs) called a Jumbo Canyon. We had a couple of them for years, they were good for small people. They were an ugly school bus yellow, Andy and Bax in Portland sold them. They were a Seylor type material, but could handle some serious pressure. Then they had a drop stitch floor just like that one.
Old 10-27-2015   #5
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
I know sevys get a bad rap but I do gotta say I used and abused mine for like ten seasons and it's still going pretty well......big water, low water, rocks, no rocks.....great. hell I even take it in the ocean sometimes!
Old 10-27-2015   #6

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
I know sevys get a bad rap but I do gotta say I used and abused mine for like ten seasons and it's still going pretty well......big water, low water, rocks, no rocks.....great. hell I even take it in the ocean sometimes!
I hear you, I've got 4 of the Sevylor SK100DS boats. They've been all over in low water, big water. boating from march until october for the last few years without any issue whatsoever. that sevytex material (1100 pvc) is pretty tough, and all air holding seams are welded. When they stopped selling them (couldnt find any more online) I picked up a clone in the Aquaglide klikitat. only difference is the skeg, and a few D-Rings. but the skeg is removable so out it came. - the both look a lot like this Avon. if I spotted one of those Avon's for sale, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.
Old 10-27-2015   #7

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Yes, it looks exactly like the hull and sides of the sk100ds.Even with its very minimal rocker it seems to go over big waves rather than through them.I have had mine for exactly a year and after blowing it up when new I have never deflated it except for minimal release and top offs when on the roof rack in the hot sun. It holds air pressure perfectly. If the Avon comes under $ 500 go for it.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015   #8

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
BTW, whats that orange boat in the background? Is it an Animas from RMR?
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015   #9

Boise, Idaho
has anybody found any real info on this Avon? all my google-fu was able to turnup was a write up (with this picture) from a wordpress blog https://apaddleinmypack.wordpress.co...kayak-reviews/ - I'd really like to know more about this boat, and where a guy could get one.
Old 10-27-2015   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
That link is the only thing I found too.