Attaching platform to existing trailer - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-27-2016   #1

Almont, Colorado
Attaching platform to existing trailer

Any suggestions on attaching side platforms to a trailer like this?

I don't have access to a welder/etc and going to use 2x10's. Not sure if I should run the boards across the width spaced out or have them run the length of the side and keep the middle open?

It will be hauling a 16' raft and sometimes a second 14' on top of the 16.

I have looked through all the pictures of trailers I could find but didn't see how people were attaching platforms and how much support is needed.

Thanks for the thoughts from others that have built a trailer.

Travis

29singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2016   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Both?

Mine is a multi-purpose trailer so I set it up so I have two 2x10s that run along the right and left sides of the trailer. These are connected by three 2x6s that run across the trailer and are snug between the left and right rails. These hold the 2x10s in place.

Alone I can pull the rack off the trailer and use the trailer for other purposes and then drop it back into place when its time to boat.

The only negative is that I have to remember to throw a strap over it when a shuttle company is running my rig to the takeout so it doesn't bounce off.
denachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016   #3

little rock, Arkansas
Your choice really. I ran mine across because I have pipe rails and it works just fine. They're secured with conduit straps attached to the boards with carriage bolts and nylock nuts. Given the option I probably would have gone with length wise 2x10s just because it would have left the middle open for other uses. You should be able to just bolt them directly to the frame which would be my choice. What do you plan to do about the gate? Doesn't look like you'll have enough length between it and the vehicle for your rafts.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2016   #4

Almont, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lncoop View Post
Your choice really. I ran mine across because I have pipe rails and it works just fine. They're secured with conduit straps attached to the boards with carriage bolts and nylock nuts. Given the option I probably would have gone with length wise 2x10s just because it would have left the middle open for other uses. You should be able to just bolt them directly to the frame which would be my choice. What do you plan to do about the gate? Doesn't look like you'll have enough length between it and the vehicle for your rafts.

I don't have that exact trailer, was just using it as an example. Gate is being removed on mine
Old 04-27-2016   #5

Almont, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lncoop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by denachuck View Post
Mine is a multi-purpose trailer so I set it up so I have two 2x10s that run along the right and left sides of the trailer. These are connected by three 2x6s that run across the trailer and are snug between the left and right rails. These hold the 2x10s in place.

Alone I can pull the rack off the trailer and use the trailer for other purposes and then drop it back into place when its time to boat.

The only negative is that I have to remember to throw a strap over it when a shuttle company is running my rig to the takeout so it doesn't bounce off.
I like this idea a lot as I want to be able to use the trailer for other things also. Do you have any pictures?
Old 04-27-2016   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Not handy...I'll get you one this evening
denachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016   #7

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29singlespeed View Post
I don't have that exact trailer, was just using it as an example. Gate is being removed on mine
Gotcha. Also, FWIW my buddy's raft trailer is set up with the through bolted lengthwise 2x10s. He usually only carries a Super Puma, but I've seen four boats stacked on it no prob.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016   #8

SLC, Utwah
Not really side llatforms but this works for me. With the side rails and a very heavy boat it does take 3 to 4 people to load. 2 to unload. 2 holes per side on the boards, Cam strapped to the trailer. My last trailer was skinnier so I had to extend the lenght of the boards with some heavy duty L brackets. I carpeted the boards where the raft touches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	11409  
AndTheLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I laid 2x12s along the top of the side rails for mine. This allows me to use it as a utility trailer when I take of the roller.

2x12s along the side rails works well as long as the width between the center of tubes is near the width of the trailer side rails. Doesn't need to be spot on, but wouldn't want it 2' off center. The center width of my tubes is probably 4-6" larger than that of the trailer and I haven't had any issues with the 2x12s wanted to tilt off to the side. I also extended the 2x12s over the front of the trailer front wall, which allows an off-center bolt to increase stability.

I fastened mine with lag bolts through holes in the trailer rails into the 2x12s. The lag bolts have wiggled a little loose with use, so I plan to replace them with carriage bolts all the way through.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2493.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	438.0 KB
ID:	11410  
spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016   #10

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
I have a 12'x8' utililty trailor with 15" side rails. I took 2x2 square tubing drilled holes and bolted it directly down to the top of my side rails. I have 4 cross beams. Then ran my planks over the top of those 2x2s. I wanted to be able to remove the cross memebers and planks to use the trailor for other things if needed. Its a little higher then i wanted it to be but since the middle of my trailor is open i can throw cooler and gear in there with no problem. Built a door on the back and installed hinges right to the frame. Good little set up but its heavy.
BEAVER BELIEVER is offline   Reply With Quote