Are Maxxon tubes a good value? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-27-2015   #1

Pine Mountain Club, CA, California
Paddling Since: 2014
Are Maxxon tubes a good value?

So what is the general opinion of Maxxon tubes? Would a set of used 12' tubes that are a few years old in good condition be a good value at $550?

I have a 16' NRS Fishcat but, I would like to set up a smaller cat for fishing and fun day trips without breaking the bank. I see some Sotar 13' tubes in the far horizon but, not right now.

So save the money towards the Sotar tubes or go have some fun with the Maxxons for a couple years.

Justadd Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015   #2

Bismarck, North Dakota
Paddling Since: 2012
Depends on what you consider a value. Here is what new cost there life expectancy is about 10 years, so I've been told.

.Catarafts
Old 08-27-2015   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
I like to bag on the foreign boats, but in all honesty, we have a maxxon raft we picked up used back in 2007. It is still going strong, and it was 6 or 7 years old when we got it. I used a set of 16' maxxon cat tubes for a fish trap project, it sat out all summer and got totally sun baked. I had some 12' cat tubes for another project and they worked good. For a fishing rig they should work fine for at least several years. FYI - I only paid $750 for new 16' cat tubes and $375 for the 12' tubes new on close out from evergoig products (the importer)
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015   #4

peoria, Arizona
I have a set of 10ft Maxxons for my play cat

They were used when I bought them in 2006. Perfect shape and look brand new.

Paddling friend picked up a brand new set of 16 footers last year for our Yampa trip and paid $800 with shipping for them. They worked great. Your mileage.......vary.

Gene
deadlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #5

Thank you both, that's good information. I'll have to ponder on this for awhile. My gut is telling me to hold out for Sotar tubes.

The 16' is a great cat but I love the agility of the smaller Sotars when there is no passenger and minimal cargo.
Old 08-27-2015   #6

It looks there are plenty of good deals on new Maxxons.
Old 08-28-2015   #7

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
I've only laid my hands on one set of newer maxxon tubes. They seemed well constructed for glued pvc (pretty sure they are glued?). The dude seemed happy with them although he seemed very green to the whole rafting thing.

If I could find a sb270 for a good price to play with I probably would pick it up. A set of small cat tubes too if I had any desire for a play-cat. The problem I've seen is that I've only HEARD of good deals but can't find one for myself. Seems like the only (main) way to buy one is through dealers....and those dealers usually are trying to sell packages that are marginal quality components (with, lets face it, lower end tubes)and bump up the price on everything as a package. I cringed when the "green rafter" ^^ told me what he paid.

Personally I might not jump on $550 for the set unless they looked damn near perfect. I'd probably shell out $400 though. But I'm kinda picky and I only buy when the deals are really good (and the sellers are typically really desperate).

Having said that...anybody got a SB270 they want to get rid of?
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015   #8

2kanzam
I think you just drove the final nail in the coffin. Will put the money in the piggy bank for some Sotar tubes.
Old 09-06-2015   #9

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Ya ain't getting to heavin if ya die in a fereign inflatable. That being said, a used maxxon 12 in decent shape is worth $250us
garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote