Anyone using the NRS flip seat with a Big Horn II? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-18-2017   #1

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Anyone using the NRS flip seat with a Big Horn II?

I am kicking around the idea of getting a flip seat mount to go over the top of my dry box. I currently have 6 inch towers on my big horn 2 frame and know I'm going to need taller towers. I'm wondering if eights or tens are the better way to go. Do any of you buzzards have this set up?

Voodoo003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2017   #2

Boulder, Colorado
I have an NRS flip seat over a cooler and my towers are 10 inches.
munnnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017   #3

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Yeah I have a feeling I'll end up with 10 inch towers just to be safe. How long are your oars? And are the taller towers a hindrance in any way?
Voodoo003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2017   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
We do offer an oar tower base that will work with NRS frames. Our oar towers are just under 10" tall and can be cut down to your desired height. We can also make you taller towers if needed. You can order direct from us or through Andy and Bax.

https://downriverequip.com/shop-prod...-25-quot-pipe/

https://downriverequip.com/shop-prod...ver-oar-tower/

Feel free to give us a call with any questions.
Down River Equipment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017   #5
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
The DRE towers are nice but you better be careful cutting them down and once cut, you are done, they don't get longer.

Another similar option to the DRE towers, are the Zebec towers sold by Kootenai Valley Inflatables and Star. One thing I like about these over the DRE towers is that the bronze piece that slides into the top of the pipe that accepts your oar lock is bolted in, not welded so you can put that on any length of pipe and change it from one piece to another. Also in addition to set screws to hold the rise pipe in the fitting on the frame, there is a hole drilled for a through bolt, only set screws on DRE's though I am sure you could drill a hole yourself.

I get mine frmo Doug at Kootenai Valley Inflatables
Home

I use them. You can make them what ever length you want by cutting a piece of NRS pipe to length.

I have mine oriented vertically:

You can also orient them more splayed out if you need some extra width between the towers, like in the photo on stars website:
FRAMES - STAR manufactures the world's finest inflatable rafts, catarafts and kayaks and accessories for whitewater rafting and touring.

Or this one (not my boat)

Also note that you can mount that oar tower to a lopro. Again you can easily make it how ever tall/splayed out you need. On my old puma I have the pipe mounted to a lopro for attachment to the frame. Works great on a small boat:

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017   #6
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Shout out to DRE,

I would like to see you all make the cast oar lock holder with a slide in shank that is bolt on, so I cold just buy that piece.
Cheers,
Shapp
Old 02-18-2017   #7

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Here are some other options:
WhiteWater Oars, Oar Blades, Oar Locks, Appurtenances
Raft frame, Cataraft, Cataraft frame, Rowframe, and Whitewater Equipment
Old 02-18-2017   #8

Gypsum, Colorado
I am going to be doing the same for my setup but am looking at the flip seat from Clavey, does anyone use this? For those who have a similar setup, what considerations should I have for rowing foot rests? Also, are the drybox hanger mounts worth getting?
dsruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017   #9

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I have a set of hanger mounts that I use for my dry box, they work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsruss View Post
I am going to be doing the same for my setup but am looking at the flip seat from Clavey, does anyone use this? For those who have a similar setup, what considerations should I have for rowing foot rests? Also, are the drybox hanger mounts worth getting?
I have the clavey flip seat, but use it up front for a fishing seat. I do use the dry box hangers on the dry box I use for my rowing seat position, The dry box hangers are a big improvement over straps, no rotation on the box if you are sitting on a dry box rowing hard.