Anyone rowing a 16' RMR/Hyside/NRS (Wide Expedition 16') - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 06-06-2019   #1
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Anyone rowing a 16' RMR/Hyside/NRS (Wide Expedition 16')

So just went up from my hyside outfitter 14, to a 14xt, and now to a RMR 16' I kept my 10' oars from my old boats which felt too long for those boats and figured they would be fine on my bigger rig, but they feel way too short.

I'd love to hear what other 16' big wide boat rowers are rowing. With my 10' oars I had to spread them like 20'' apart at the handles, and I am still rowing up by my neck to get the full blades in the water. I have a DRE frame and I even turned my oar towers in a bit( have them running parallel to the outside rail of my frame) to get the oar locks a bit closer together.

A little background, I am sitting on my drybox, so only about 5'' above the frame, no captains chair. Also, my oar towers are stock DRE, so the locks sit about 10'' off the deck as well.

Some of my thoughts are that the towers are too tall, and sitting from my dry box I could shorten the towers significantly. But is that enough or do I need to go up to 11' oars? I'd like to turn the towers back to their outward facing position since thats how they are meant to be run with the angle the lock mount is at.

Anyway, anyone else running 10' oars on a wide (7'8'') expedition boat with 22'' tubes (the dimensions on the RMR160 are the same as the Hyside 16XT and the NRS E-160)? Sawyer's customer service says 9'6''-10' should be the "sweet spot" for a 16' raft but I just don't see it, no way could I run shorter than 10', I'd have to stand up to get the blades in the water.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019   #2

Denver, Colorado
I use 9.5s on a 7'2" boat so it sure seems like you should be able to make it work with shorter towers...
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
It sounds like we are running almost the same setup. I have a 16' RMR with a Riverboat works frame and 10 ft oars. I sit on a cooler 7" above the frame and my oar locks are a little higher, probably 7.5-8 inches above the frame. The distance between my oar locks is 84". I don't have my oars spread near as far as you do. Probably only an inch or so between them when they are flat / out of the water. This system is comfortable for me and seems to row fine. Admittedly this is the first boat that is my own and I never got used to anything else. Also, I'm relatively tall (6'-5") so having the oars up high-ish is good.

Your numbers seem reversed from mine, you sit a little lower and oarlocks are a bit higher. Maybe some shorter towers and raising your seat would help? It seems to me that 11 ft oars would feel quite long and you'd need to have so much of the oar outboard of the lock that a counter balance would almost be a must.
hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Ya I didn't add, I am also only 5'9'', so I am pretty short. I will have a 2'' paco pad coming to sit on so I will be raised up half an inch or so. I guess my first step before buying new oars should be to cut the towers down and see where that gets me.

I would prefer to have the handles on my oars about 2-3'' apart when flat, the wide spacing sucks, I only did that because it was hard to get the blades in the water otherwise.

I think if I was on a captains chair and sitting up high this would not be an issue, but I like sitting low, and hated my old captains chair drybox combo. It's a pain in the ass to get in and out of the box/cooler under the chair, you have to flip it foward, and the box/cooler needs to be facing backwards, it was not as ideal to me to get in and out of your dry box/cooler.

I guess I could raise the lower the tabs on my drybox so it sits up a little higher too if that's necessary.
Old 06-06-2019   #5

Ft jones, United States
Paddling Since: 1985
My SOTAR is probably similar dimensions.
Eeevvvveryone will tell you that you are supposed to use 10' oars on a 16' boat.
I always felt like they were too short.

The river gods demanded the sacrifice of two of my Sawyer MXG's two years ago, so I ordered two new 10'6" Smoker Dynalites.

But I LOVE them!!

I can't imagine going back to the shorter sticks.

Ben
BenSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019   #6
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
I run 10.5 and 10' on my 16' Avon. I like the 10.5 for big water and the 10's are nice for smaller technical stuff. Mine is a little narrower than yours. My buddy runs a 16xt and has 11'ers which will yank your ass out of the boat if you dip them in the wrong spot. He's a bigger dude and loves them. I think the 10.5 is the real sweet spot for a 16'.
Old 06-06-2019   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Ya I won't be running anything too technical with this boat, it's big. I have a minimax too with a little frame for anything small and tight, so I may go big and go 11' since it will mostly be used on bigger rivers, Salmon, Colorado, Green...

With the width apart my oars are now, 6'' more would just bring the handles closer together, I don't think they'd hit the water any better. I have like 15-20 inches between the handles right now, so 10'6'' will for sure solve that problem, but I think I may need another 6'' on each side to hit the river, or I need to sit higher up, that may be an easier solution to all this is just get a captains chair...

Too many options haha. Hard to really tell without rowing them, and that's hard on the pocket book to order the wrong size shafts.
Old 06-06-2019   #8
Sponsoring Vendors

At 5'8 160# I think the 10'6 are as big as I want. Another buddy has a 16' rmr and has 10'6. He is a big dude and said they felt about perfect on the grand this year. 11' are big oars and what most people run on 18'ers.
Old 06-06-2019   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Thanks for the tip, I appreciate your help on this. I am 5'8'' and about 190 so similar size to you, a little heftier haha. I think the main problem here is I am sitting too low. I think I either need to cut down my towers and/or get a seat, maybe something like the clavey seat mount, I have a NRS high back on my miniframe I could just throw on here, that would get me like 3 inches higher and if I cut my towers down to 7 or 8'' that may solve the problem for way less then investing in new oars.

I just don't want to order 10'6'' and them still be a little short, I'd rather have too much than too little since I'm not 100% sure on this.
Old 06-06-2019   #10
Sponsoring Vendors

If you cut your towers do it in 1/2" increments or you'll be buying new towers quickly.