Anyone put an oar frame on a pair of Kayaks? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-18-2015   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Anyone put an oar frame on a pair of Kayaks?

I've seen the old school Bi-Yaks, and I have rowed catarafts, but I Am curious about putting a frame on a pair of Karmas, or probably Karma ULs.

I would close off the cockpits and probably add foam between where the frame meets the boats.

The lower "tube" height might necessitate taller towers, or might I want to shim the whole frame up higher for better clearance in the middle?

Any thoughts on the sweet spot for width and oar length?

The first go around will be with a big horn one, with 8.5' oars.

The front mount straps might need to run under the hulls, unless I added mounting points, which I wouldn't do, at least to our race boats.

Any other pitfalls to avoid or features to go for?

Should center of the rower's weight be centered or a little forward like the Idaho cat boaters? Optional passenger seating or casting deck would affect this, but it would be nice not to have to totally rearrange for this occasion.

At a mere 94 gallons each, the boat would have, I'm guessing, half the volume of a more typical 12' cat.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015   #2

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
This homemade job sounds alot like the hard sided cats that AAA Inflatables sells. I bet it will be fun when you get it together.
Old 08-18-2015   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Go for it! And go pro Please!
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2015   #4

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
I've seen the old school Bi-Yaks, and I have rowed catarafts, but I Am curious about putting a frame on a pair of Karmas, or probably Karma ULs.

I would close off the cockpits and probably add foam between where the frame meets the boats.

The lower "tube" height might necessitate taller towers, or might I want to shim the whole frame up higher for better clearance in the middle?

Any thoughts on the sweet spot for width and oar length?

The first go around will be with a big horn one, with 8.5' oars.

The front mount straps might need to run under the hulls, unless I added mounting points, which I wouldn't do, at least to our race boats.

Any other pitfalls to avoid or features to go for?

Should center of the rower's weight be centered or a little forward like the Idaho cat boaters? Optional passenger seating or casting deck would affect this, but it would be nice not to have to totally rearrange for this occasion.

At a mere 94 gallons each, the boat would have, I'm guessing, half the volume of a more typical 12' cat.
As a fishing platform many times. Guy in Denver built them for me Alumaguard Rowframe. Also outfitted a ying ying outboard to the back of it.
garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015   #5

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Dave: Sweet thing about the kayak is the elliptical shape. Its displacement is wau more efficient than a cat tube. With respect to a cat tube, the upper 70% of the tube is wasted material.
Biyaks....The die for those is out in Bennet at a Rotomolder. That patent has expired likely expired
garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
R2 that B
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015   #7
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Best use for a pair of torrent sot's iv'e seen!
Old 09-07-2015   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
You could put cockpit covers on them, you'd have more storage than a uhaul. Might want to put a cam strap on the rim of the cockpit to ensure it doesn't implode.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015   #9
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
In Verlin Kruger's book he and his partner each carried a pole that they would use for a "frame "to lash the two boats into a catamaran so that one person could paddle while the other slept.