Anyone know Igloo Yukon 120 & 150 cooler dimensions? Rig handles on the rails? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 05-12-2015   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Anyone know Igloo Yukon 120 & 150 cooler dimensions? Rig handles on the rails?

I thinking about using an Igloo Yukon 120 or 150 as my main cooler and potentially having the handles rest on the side rails. Seems like you could get it strapped in pretty well by the handles alone. But, I can't find detailed dimensions of the cooler body without handles. And, I am concerned about how far above the frame it would stick out if the cooler rested on the frame just below its handles.

So, does anyone know the following measurements on the Igloo Yukon 120 and 150(see image for reference):
*Length, without handles?
*Height, below handles?

And, do the molded-in handles seems burly enough to support the weight of the cooler, resting on the rails? You'd think so, since you carry it by the handles and all...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yukon.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	9848  

spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015   #2

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
There was a recent thread on the igloo yukon. I would pm tmacc to see his thoughts.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ons-55626.html
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015   #3

Bailey, Colorado
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ons-55626.html
Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015   #4

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Gotta roll to some appointments right now and all of my measuring tapes are in the truck. I'll post dimensions later today for the 150 qt Yukon.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
thanks, tmacc
Old 05-12-2015   #6

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I have the 150 and If I'm not mistaken it is 37.5 long at the bottom. That is the only measurment I remember because it was the only one that mattered to my settup. I've never used it though and will be selling it soon if interested.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015   #7

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
just measured mine at 37" along the bottom
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015   #8

Park City, Utah
OK, the length of the cooler body below the handles is 43.5''. The dimension from drain plug to drain plug (the longest dimension at the bottom of the cooler) is 43.125''. We carried this cooler on our Aire Leopard/NRS frame and it fit, but the drain plugs were tight against the fabric ribbon covering the tube zippers. Without some sort of material to cover the drain plugs, I think they could possibly abrade the tube material from a different mfr. Our new frame will be 44'' between the tubes, so shouldn't be a problem. The cooler bay is 21.75'' on our existing frame and the cooler fit fine.

The dimension from the floor to where the molded handles start to extend from the body is 10''. From that point to the top of the cooler is 10.5''. The molded handles taper from the body to end of the handle in such a way that I would not try to support the cooler with it, but that's just me. There isn't a "flat" spot on the handles that could set on a frame tube w/o there being a point load, possible rub/wear spot. You could certainly use the handles to strap the cooler to the frame and that is what we plan to do on the new frame.

Hope that helps you, Spence.
Old 05-12-2015   #9

Park City, Utah
FWIW, I just checked the cooler with a short piece of frame tubing and if your frame tubes were 47.5'' C-to-C the cooler handles would set on them in such a way that the frame would support it properly. So, I take back the statement that I would not use the handle to support the cooler.

You probably saw on my other post that this is a heavy cooler. With food, frozen in ice for a GC trip, it's a freakin' super heavy cooler. It took 4 people to safely load it onto the cat at Lees Ferry. Depending on your use, you might want to take that into consideration when planning on supporting it by the handles. Just a thought.
Old 05-12-2015   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacc View Post
OK, the length of the cooler body below the handles is 43.5''. The dimension from drain plug to drain plug (the longest dimension at the bottom of the cooler) is 43.125''...
Nailed it, tmacc. Thanks for the info. My frame and tubes have 44" between, so it sounds like it would just fit, but that when compressed the tubes may rub the drain a but. Something to think about. 10.5" of rise above the frame is also something to think about- don't wanna get too top heavy.

Thanks for the replies.