Anyone have a Outboard motor I can rent for a Deso trip next month? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 03-31-2016   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Anyone have a Outboard motor I can rent for a Deso trip next month?

I'm going on a Desolation Canyon trip from the 11th through 18th next month (April) and after hearing about the winds and variable weather that happens this time of year there, I think I want a motor to help push down the flatwater sections.

Anyone on here within easy drive of Denver or somewhere between here and Deso have a motor they will rent or let me borrow? I can leave a deposit just in case it gets damaged too.

Post up or Let me know via PM if you have something. The raft I bought came with a transom, so I just need the motor.

Cheers,

Josh

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2016   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Josh do you know that you will need a boat registration, numbers and a fire extinguisher to go with the motor?

Otherwise they will not allow the motor on the river.

Rob
merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by merritrd View Post
Josh do you know that you will need a boat registration, numbers and a fire extinguisher to go with the motor?

Otherwise they will not allow the motor on the river.

Rob
yes....I do know all that. I just don't want to throw down on purchasing a motor if I can find a good deal on renting one. The only place I've found in Denver only has the 9.9hp one which is a bit big for this use IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2016   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Deso can easily be done without a motor. Even when I have had 40-50 mph winds and we have camped early, we were able to adjust.

Leave enough at the end for Ray's.

Sent from this thingy using Mountain Buzz
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #5

Westminster, Colorado
You're doing an 8 day trip, and it's running >2k now and will likely only go up from there in the next couple weeks, so I wouldn't bother with a motor. The flat isn't _that_ long. Go through the hassle of rigging in a motor when you only have time for a 4 or 5 day trip. And unless someone will loan you a lightweight 3 horse, might as well go for the 9.9 if you're going to haul metal with you. That way, when the motor's running you'll really be making time rather than just making noise.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #6
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
How big is your raft? I have run a 9 hp on my 14' before, no problem with the weight.
Old 03-31-2016   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
I don't mean to offend any of you guys...but I asked whether someone had a motor they were willing to rent...not whether to take one or not. If I hadn't already made the decision to do so, I wouldn't have asked.

I almost bought a 4hp 4 stroke off of Craigslist today, but decided to see if someone here had one they wanted some help paying off in return for its use so I didn't have to spend a much larger chunk of money buying one.

I've researched the crap out of this, and the 4-6hp ones are the best weight to power ratio.

If you have one you want to rent....please respond. If not, I'll figure something else out.
Old 03-31-2016   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
How big is your raft? I have run a 9 hp on my 14' before, no problem with the weight.
Its an 16' Avon Pro. I'm sure it can take the weight of a 9hp one...its just a bigger more massive motor compared to the next step down in size and I do want to dismount it after the flatwater unless the water gets crappy so the difference in size and weight definitely makes a difference for storage.

edit: Here is what I mean....

The 4-6hp ones are all the same size and they are about half the size and 30 pounds or so difference in weight compared to the 8-9.9hp ones. Weight difference isn't huge, but the size definitely is.
Old 03-31-2016   #9
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Just sounds like you are trying to get THROUGH the trip. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Sent from this thingy using Mountain Buzz
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
I'm trying to enjoy the trip...not fight the weather. There is a very real possibility that I'll regret bringing one if the weather is great, but it might not be too.

Maybe I'm just listening to the stories the trip leader is telling too much. He said the trip he did last year the same week there was two days of snow and so much wind that they had forced layover days because they couldn't make any headway. He said four trips that launched the day after him were forced to share a small beach camp because of the weather for a day too.

Honestly though....you guys are giving me misgivings about it now too...so who knows if I'll throw down on it or not at this point.