Anyone ever use a small Wing/Tarp for weather/shade on their raft at camp? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 03-25-2019   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Anyone ever use a small Wing/Tarp for weather/shade on their raft at camp?

I'm about to do another Grand Canyon trip, and am waffling between bringing a tent, buying a bimini, or just go simple and use a small wing/tarp on it. I did a May trip last year and it didn't rain a single drop but I think April might have more potential for crappy weather. I didn't feel like I needed a Bimini last year and prefer not to have one but I do like shade. Same thing for an Umbrella... just too much to futz with. I thought about a Megamid too, but I don't think that works very well with a Cot, which is more important to me then shelter.

That brings me to wondering about using a Wing on a raft and whether anyone has done it. I'm thinking a small cheap caternary cut wing. Stick my spare oars near the end of the raft frame, secure it to the front and rear d-rings and the outside corners to the frame. I only have a big 20' wing (Walrus brand...no longer in production but similar to the MSR 220) otherwise I'd go try it. Just wondering if someone has tried it before. Pics would be even better.

I guess I could just go Bivy sack or just throw a tarp over me if it rains, but it might be nice to have something more secure and less claustrophobic.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019   #2

Newman Lake, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
I'm thinking of using one of these next March.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have friends who use it for shade and it holds up well. It is eight feet at it's widest point.
athelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019   #3

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
I thought about a Megamid too, but I don't think that works very well with a Cot, which is more important to me then shelter.
The Roll-a-Cot works fine in a MegaMid. Tried and proven!
briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019   #4

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Mega-mid with two poles and a small piece of wood to cover the footwell is best in my experience. Run the two poles to the oarlocks to anchor. I didn't use a cot it could have easily worked with one. Umbrellas are okay if there is no wind to blow the rain into you (been there).
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019   #5

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2006
Do you think something like this would work? I think its only a 3 sided option so wind and a real storm might not make it as good as the BD tent.

https://www.sierra.com/kelty-mirada-...ring=s~tent%2F
mcfarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Just my two cents. I like a bimini and have one on both my cat and dory (same one). I sleep on a roll-a-cot on my cat and directly on my deck on the dory. The bimini helps with little squalls but doesn't do anything for sand storms (which are probably a bigger problem than rain in the Grand) or a driving wind blown rain storm. I sewed up some snap on side panels that attach to the bimini out of some rainfly material Works great on both boats. used some shock cord to hold it down and can be set up in 10 minutes.
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019   #7

I vote pancho and palm leaf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clint.gif
Views:	38
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	33599  
BGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019   #8

My frame has a removable hammock stand- you could add that and just take one of those covered hammocks...
kayakingkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019   #9

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakingkate View Post
My frame has a removable hammock stand- you could add that and just take one of those covered hammocks...
I've thought about doing this for fun, got any photos of the set up?
heyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019   #10

This is how we use our bimini and a KOP Autofly. If it is windy, we have to do more securing and anchoring.

bramble is offline   Reply With Quote