Anyone actually rowed with 2/3 piece breakdown Sawyer Oars? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 09-28-2018   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Anyone actually rowed with 2/3 piece breakdown Sawyer Oars?

So, I bought a Hyside Mini-Max recently, and it occured to me that it wouldn't be crazy hard to make a setup that I could I could fly with as checked baggage. Boat weighs 67 pounds or something and then a second bag with the frame and oars. I'll have to pay extra, but still cheaper then driving to a lot of places and/or renting a setup after flying.

Ok...so the main reason I started this thread is I'm curious about the breakdown oars since I think those would be key to a flyable setup, but I'll also want to use them for local runs as well.. I'm partial to Sawyer these days, and was thinking a setup of short 7.5-8' Polecats (with some Dynelite blades I already have) would do great for this. I'm just curious if anyone has rowed with the 2 or 3 piece breakdowns. Do the tighten down pretty well? Still flex like normal? Stronger or weaker with the joins? I like the sawyer Tightset system since they seem to lock stuff down better then the rest...which is the main reason I'd go with them.

Any input is appreciated.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2018   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Ok...so the main reason I started this thread is I'm curious about the breakdown oars since I think those would be key to a flyable setup, but I'll also want to use them for local runs as well.. I'm partial to Sawyer
Any input is appreciated.

I hae a set of 2 piece 10 foot, and they are great. I only rowed with them once to see how they felt, really couldn't tell the difference from those and my MX-FG's, they seem to flex the same, and the Tightset system works as well in the middle of the shaft as it does holding the blade in. I don't like the Dynalite blades compared to the ash/fir blades, likely as I'm an old fart stuck in my ways.

To me, nothing has the bite and feel of wood in the water. I bought them as at the time, I was deflating and rolling everything, and wanted everything to fit in the back of a pickup with a shell I could lock. Now I trailer everything so breakdown is no longer an issue, they are my spares on one of my rigs.

IMHO spend the extra $15.00 for the counterbalance option, it's no longer a 4lb (but they will make a 4lb if you like), is 2LB now, much better for the shorter oar length you desire. Call them as opposed to ordering over the interweb, you might get a discount on a slow selling color or something like that, I've gotten some deals over the phone in the past that I wouldn't have gotten by clicking.

At the end of the day, in MY opinion you simply can't get a better oar than what Sawyer makes unless you make your own wooden ones. I have a pile of cat shafts / Carlisle sitting in the barn rotting since I bit the bullet and went Sawyer.
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I have that exact setup with a mini max and the 2 piece sawyer. They’re great. They’re also 1,000% better than the Carlisle 2 piece oars. You’ll like them.
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote