Any suggestions to a small budget boat with frame? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-14-2017   #1

Asheville, North Carolina
Any suggestions to a small budget boat with frame?

Hello MB, I am a first time poster here but have done my best to find the answer to my question by searching first but I have not had the best luck.

I am in the market for a sub 10 foot self-bailing raft that I can also fish out of. I do not have a trailer and most of my put-ins/take outs are without an established boat ramp. So for weight and ease of access I would like to stay with a smaller raft. Plus it's usually just my wife and I.

My question is, I have found 3 rafts within my budget that with frame come out between 2-2500. My first choice is the SaturnR2, Outcast Striker, and T REX mini drifter made by Creek Company. Is there any other options in that budget or even below that I may be interested in? What are your suggestions regarding my choices?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Creek_TREX98.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	23354   Click image for larger version

Name:	SATURN96RD290X.JPG
Views:	560
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	23362  

Click image for larger version

Name:	STRIKEROSG.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	23370  

geegriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2017   #2

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Saturn r-2 and a frame from gary would put you at Less than 2,000 with oars (cheap)
Old 10-14-2017   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
If you want to go up a step in quality, you could probably find an RMR Storm for a low enough price to fit your budget if you search around. Not sure how much more that would weigh compared to your other options, but it would be a great boat for your needs. Their phat cat would also definitely fit your budget, but probably wouldn’t be great for fishing if you usually have a passenger. A 9.5 Trib would be good too, but finding one used or at a discount would be harder.
Maxxon also makes a mini boat, no idea what the quality is.
protechie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2017   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Saturn r-2 and a frame from gary would put you at Less than 2,000 with oars (cheap)
I spoke with Gary, his mini-frame doesnt seem like it would be a viable option for me. Basically just a metal bench for the rower and nothing for the passenger. Gary is from rowframes.com correct?
Old 10-14-2017   #5
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Gary owns Row frame and is of good repute, by far the most affordable new frames out there. RMR storm could be a good option, also a used Hyside Mini Me or Mini Max would fit the bill very nicely if you find one in your price range. I believe they are one of the lightest boats in that size range, roll nicely, and will last for a long time.
Never heard of Creek Company, Outcast should be good quality, I've heard some good reviews from Saturn owners. The Aire Puma might be worth looking at also.
Old 10-14-2017   #6

McMinnville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
The RMR Storm is a solid boat and you might find one used or on an end of the year sale that coupled with a River Boat Works frame would be good on the high end of your budget. My wife and I have comfortably done overnighters with this setup. If you could find a used Mini Max with this frame setup, that would save 20lbs and be awesome. I really like the Storm but sometimes wish I would have spent more for the Hyside, just for the weight savings.
gjoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Iíve seen some people with the creek company boats and they seem to like them. I used a mini max with fishing frame this summer and it was totally awesome. The price difference between the rmr and the hyside is significant but if youíre hauling the boat around itís worth it. We put the whole setup 70% inflated in the short bed f150 and it worked so sweet. If on a budget Iíd consider the creek company but I would want to see it first and decide if the quality was up to par.
theusualsuspect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017   #8
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
I would also consider how you can store the boat. Are you gonna have a warm place to store it this winter? Do you have room to keep it inflated? It may be worth waiting to afford the hyside if just for the material. If you are going to be rolling the boat I'd get the rubber boat over the vinyl. I don't want to get into a csm vs pvc debate here so I'm not going to say anymore.
Old 10-15-2017   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
Rolling a storm is a non issue. It is not Rolling a 20' pvc boat. Remember the price on all boats will increase when you add the needed d rings. Being budget minded is not inherently bad but do keep in mind this sport will take a time and monetary commitment. It's no different than skiing, biking, flying, or climbing.
I am really impressed with the quality and price point on RMR boats.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017   #10

I can keep the boat inflated. Thank you for the suggestion of the RMR boat. That would be great if it fell within my budget. I am on the east coast and the used raft market is fickle. Sometimes rafts show up in the southern Appalachian market but it is few and far between.