Any experience with Intex Mariner rafts? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-19-2015   #1

Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
Any experience with Intex Mariner rafts?

Wondering if any of you had used one of these, and if so, used one on moving water? Specifically the Mariner 3 or 4.

I have a 12' Aire Trib that I love for paddle and rowing, but moved to the northeast last year and am surrounded by a lot of class I+ creeks (within 30 min driving). I read all of the reviews I could find, and other than cheap, breakable oars, it sounds like the material holds up to rocks and tree branches. I am looking for something small, convenient, and safe to row and to get my 2 almost 3 year old on some float stretches this summer, without the overkill of my frame and oar setup. Mostly use my Trib now for paddling bigger water w family and friends, or traveling to row bigger rivers.

Let me know if you paddle or have paddled/rowed one of these on moving water. Two videos I found on YouTube. One was the mariner 4 with three Oregon boaters paddling big water, the other was a guy on I think the Provo river breaking an oar, hitting a bridge pile-on and flipping his wife and toddler.

Thanks!

amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015   #2
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
personally for the way I saw it being used with two piece kayak paddles broke down to use as two paddles in a video (not sure if its the same you viewed) I think you'd do better putting a couple thwarts in your boat and using it as a paddle raft. I personally wouldn't bother with that raft if I already owned a decent boat. I do have a cheap sevylor hunter/fisher raft that fits 4, that I use at a local state park swimming area, the kids bounce around in it and stuff. but it was a brainless purchase off craigslist for like $50 and doesn't do anything other than that little local state park pond.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015   #3

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
AZ must be a rough go for a rafter to consider 12' a big boat. Bummer.

I have nothing helpful to contribute
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015   #4

Reno, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2006
We have a Mariner 4 that we used before we found a used outfitter boat. It has been great for the mostly Class 1 Truckee and Merced in Yosemite Valley. I would agree that it is well enough built for the family style float trips. You may be disappointed after working with the real stuff though. The biggest issue we have had was leaky valves.
Creetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015   #5

Buffalo, New York
Thanks for the feedback. I've guided 16-18'ers for years in the southwest. The 12' was awesome in AZ for a private boat and is great here in NY too! Good call on not going smaller/cheaper. I did read that about leaky baffles and valves. I think they recently redesigned them for "fishing shallow waterways," hence the reinforced material, upgrade to the Seahawks II. Video on rubber boats.com.

Would hate to waste money on cheap crap.
Old 02-20-2015   #6

Reno, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by amv48 View Post

Would hate to waste money on cheap crap.
I think the Mariners are the best of the Cheap Crap. You will probably be disappointed after using good stuff. Also the Mariner 4 is actually 11 ft so you won't see much difference from your 12'.
Creetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #7

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creetch View Post
I think the Mariners are the best of the Cheap Crap. You will probably be disappointed after using good stuff. Also the Mariner 4 is actually 11 ft so you won't see much difference from your 12'.

Spot on.

I picked up a Mariner 4 unused in the box from a garage sale for $100 a few years back to use as a fishing raft on flat/slow water. The slatted floor and inflatable keel is pretty cool. My intex Mariner 4 is 10.5 feet long...maybe they changed that with the redesign?

Day one....blew a baffle. The oars are crap, so I put a trolling motor on it and it moves along pretty good. It has taken some bumps on class 1 rivers pretty well but a few times I have floated around a lake and ended up looking like I took anti-aircraft fire from below without even knowing I so much as rubbed on anything. I just put some tear aid on them as they show up...and they will show up.

The floor separates from the tubes very easily. I have a slow leak in the weld of one of the tubes (manufactureing defect) that cannot be stopped. I haven't had valve issues.

Ultimately is served me pretty well as a crappie fishing boat on lakes, but everytime I take it out (didn't even unroll it last year) I go out almost expecting it to fall apart on me. As far as rafts (roundboats) in the $350-$400 price range, this is the best....BUT it is not worth that much IMO. The should be in stores for about $200. I honestly don't feel too great about the $100 I spent on mine, but it's just $100. I recently bought an old 12ft star raft for $50 which after I did some repairs is 10 times the boat....and is replacing the intex in the motorized raft/crappie fishing duties.

If you have a 12' trib you won't get anything extra out of having the mariner IMO.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #8

Buffalo, New York

Here's that video I mentioned if the guys in Oregon. I found another of the owner making it into a self bailer.
Old 02-20-2015   #9

Buffalo, New York
Thanks again for the feedback and experience
Old 02-20-2015   #10

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
how many go-pro's does it take to film 8 googans ( aka Joeys or Gapers) as they run their poverty boats down class II water?!

lol. im just kidding... that is a pretty river... would love to float it. looks like those guys are having plenty of fun in their INtex boats... whatever gets you on the water!
GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote