Any Buzzards in Fort Collins have the tools to bend some 1.5"/1.9" OD aluminum pipe? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 07-17-2017   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Any Buzzards in Fort Collins have the tools to bend some 1.5"/1.9" OD aluminum pipe?

Any Buzzards in Fort Collins have the tools to bend some 1.9" OD aluminum pipe?

Or, does anyone have recommendations on a shop in town that could do some bending for me.

I wanna make a little frame add-on to hang a couple buckets in the captains bay. Shoot me a message if you've got the tools and would be willing to help me out for beer/$$/payment of choice.

Thanks!

spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2017   #2
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
There is an exhaust shop in back of the Duke of Windsor. They may bend your pipe for cheap. They have always treated me well. I usually throw the guy a few bucks for beer. There is a liquor store next door too. The Duke of Windsor lost it's liquor license so you aren't buying any beers there for the boys.

It's gonna take a pipe bender not a conduit bender for this pipe probably. A hydraulic bender puts much sharper bends in. I wish I still had one, we would be drinking PBR. Bummer
Old 07-18-2017   #3

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Annealing, bending, trimming vs miter and weld

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenceuiuc View Post
Any Buzzards in Fort Collins have the tools to bend some 1.9" OD aluminum pipe?

Or, does anyone have recommendations on a shop in town that could do some bending for me.

I wanna make a little frame add-on to hang a couple buckets in the captains bay. Shoot me a message if you've got the tools and would be willing to help me out for beer/$$/payment of choice.

Thanks!
Miter and Weld is the way to go unless you're setting up for multiple identical bends. The time you save will be your own. A tight radius bend requires a soft temper 6063 (T0-T5) to initiate. You can probably get some down in Broomfield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2017   #4
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Thanks Gary, I did not consider the type of aluminum. I know it's not my thread, but I'm thanking you for sharing that knowledge. Now wouldn't that pipe have slot of copper and be problem to corrosion too.

So miter and a spool gun. That I got. Let's drink some beer and build this!!! Well it's not really a miter it's a chop saw that I change to a blade for aluminum. Do you got a miter Spence?
Old 07-19-2017   #5

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Most 6000 series aluminum has a couple of points of copper in it for ductility.
Old 07-19-2017   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCo View Post
So miter and a spool gun. That I got. Let's drink some beer and build this!!! Well it's not really a miter it's a chop saw that I change to a blade for aluminum. Do you got a miter Spence?
I've got a chop saw I use on aluminum but nothing that can weld aluminum. Will shoot you a message, NoCo. Stoked.
spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote