Another cooler thread - Mountain Buzz

Unread 16 Hours Ago   #1

Another cooler thread

Howdy, so I’m trying to find a relatively affordable cooler to fit in my rowing bay. Looking for 150q. The depth of my raft from floor to top of tube is 15” and I’m looking for 42” in length, width doesn’t really matter. Wider the better I guess cause I will be rowing from it..

My question: I can’t find a cooler in this size with less than 19” in depth. That would give me 4” plus a 3” thick paco pad on top, 7” total I guess. I use 8” oar locks and I believe 9ft oars .,,

Will this height work with the 8” oar locks?
Anyone know of a 150q cooler with a depth less than 19”
Good luck on all the permit applications.

wharf-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 15 Hours Ago   #2
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Your probably going to have to settle for a smaller cooler to get your dimensions or lose the pad or something. I would like yoyr dimensions too but i dont think it exists.
Unread 15 Hours Ago   #3

Newman Lake, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
I have a Canyon Navigator and love it.

19.75" tall
20" deep
42.74" wide

It can hang from the frame.

There is nothing I don't like about it.
athelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 13 Hours Ago   #4

Arnold, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharf-rat View Post
My question: I can’t find a cooler in this size with less than 19” in depth. That would give me 4” plus a 3” thick paco pad on top, 7” total I guess. I use 8” oar locks and I believe 9ft oars .,,

Will this height work with the 8” oar locks?
Anyone know of a 150q cooler with a depth less than 19”

This will depend a lot on your personal & boat/frame geometry as well:
What height do you like your hands to row?
How wide are your oar locks (pins)?
How high off the water are your oar locks (pins)?

Also, the pad will compress when sitting on it so you don’t get the full 3” unless it is significantly thicker to start.

There’s probably not much out there with less above the frame clearance than the Navigator. Whatever you use the latches will need to clear the frame.
Unread 5 Hours Ago   #5

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Also, keep in mind the height of the cross bars on your frame. If you have inch and a half thick tubing, for instance, then your 19” cooler might only stick up two and a half inches, which seems pretty great to me.

I want to say my cooler is about three inches higher than my cross bar, then I have a 2” paco over it.

If everything is too high, you can always get a thinner cooler pad, as well.
It can be nice to have something that just stays over the cooler all of the time, and keeps it insulated, or to sit on at camp, when your onloaded and just sitting on your boat.
Unread 2 Hours Ago   #6

Teton Village, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2006
CaterGator!

CaterGator is the cheapest rotomolded cooler I could find. I have the 100L and love it. It sits a little high but I can fit five blocks of ice in it. Its affordable, well made and holds ice pretty darn good.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cat...0aAkBEEALw_wcB
lnug84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Hours Ago   #7

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I have a 150 qt Gott. I've always really liked it. It fits your main dimensions, but is 19" high. It does hug tubes nicely given it's shape is fits a little loose in my 44" wide space, but does stick up a bit. It's a good option if you find the height will work. That, as others say depends on other things. I also have a prospector which I love a lot more. I will say going with a budget cooler vs premium cooler will save you money, but a 150 qt cooler (like the gott) will have an effective usable size that is similar to or even smaller than the premium cooler as you will have to use more ice. I've always found to get, say 5 days out of the gott it takes about 20 lbs MORE ice (like 4 or 5 half gallon jugs) to get it to last the same as either the prospector or my old 100 qt yeti. In the end, the three coolers hold the same amount of food for that 4-5-6 day period. Ice is the variable. Long story short, you might be able to spend more money on a better cooler that fits the way you want and end up with the same usable space... My $.02.