An explanation of Sawyer Oars - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2011
Finally a good discussion and explanation of all the Sawyer Oar types. In fact, all of these videos from Northwest Rafting Company on YouTube are fantastic.

https://youtu.be/BvLLUsaiG9E

Norcalcoastie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Ellensburg, Washington
Paddling Since: 1982
If you like the MX and Squaretop, be sure to row the Bandit.
GOTY2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalcoastie View Post
Finally a good discussion and explanation of all the Sawyer Oar types. In fact, all of these videos from Northwest Rafting Company on YouTube are fantastic.

https://youtu.be/BvLLUsaiG9E
I agree... I really like hearing his perspective on stuff even if his style of rowing doesn't match mine. I'm more of a positive "Push" boater and try to keep momentum and forward motion and Zach is more of a "puller" that slows down to give himself time to make lines.

He's also very declarative... "This is what is best" rather then "this is what I have found and prefer for myself".

Ok...I'm gonna go watch the video...I like Sawyer Oars and look forward to hearing about it.

Oh...and here it is embedded (you have to use a specific URL... specifically the one in the browser address bar and not the one youtube gives you when you click "share")

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTY2011 View Post
If you like the MX and Squaretop, be sure to row the Bandit.
I really want to try some Bandits. Well...I sort of do...a bit worried I'll really like them and then have to buy them. I'm rather fond of my Squartops though...so they'll have to be especially awesome to replace those.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Ellensburg, Washington
Paddling Since: 1982
They're nearly half the weight of a SquareTop, and like the MX and Polecat, have a replaceable blade in the event of damage or loss. Very light swing weight, no counter balance needed, and have a similar flex to a Dyno-X shaft. They are becoming quite popular with fishing guides due to the number of user days.
GOTY2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
That guy is funny AF! If whitewater guiding had a Hank Patterson, he'd be it!
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
I agree... I really like hearing his perspective on stuff even if his style of rowing doesn't match mine. I'm more of a positive "Push" boater and try to keep momentum and forward motion and Zach is more of a "puller" that slows down to give himself time to make lines.
Right or wrong, I too am a pusher.
I'll pull/ferry above rapids, but once I'm in, momentum is my friend.

Few things frustrate me more than a puller who wants to row point.

You'll have to get MNichols to weigh in on pushing vs. pulling vs. "letting your drift boat drift"
I'm looking forward to getting my dory out in bigger water this season; I'm sure you are as well.

Quote:
He's also very declarative... "This is what is best" rather then "this is what I have found and prefer for myself".

Yes and no. I've also found in other videos of his that his attitude is more "this is what I've found to be best, but my opinion was different a few years ago"...showing he's still evolving in his opinions and the sport is advancing (not quickly, but advancing).

I think it's OK to be a bit declarative if you have a less experienced audience, tell them what to do and then let them emulate you if they have NO prior experience to draw from. If you have a more experienced audience, you're going to find competing opinions--not that yours is best--i.e. "different strokes.."

So even when I may disagree with him, I like his declarative tone. Wishy-washy YouTube videos are awful to watch!!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Boating with "pullers" (only) can make for a frustrating and long day. I was with a group of pullers on a low water Lodore and somehow our night one camp was Rippling Brook. Through every rock garden and rapid was a CF of boats rowing upstream to miss every rock or wave. Needless to say, we did not make Rippling.

Both styles are necessary depending on the river. "Pushing" on big water works great until you get to perhaps Bedrock.

Doing the Upper Animas or Numbers at relatively lower flows is a day of continuously slowing down the action; pulling, ferrying, resetting, realigning and then a push.

Just saying, different strokes for different rivers.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Fair point. The vast majority of my bigger water experience is on the Lochsa, Main Salmon, and Middle Salmon.
Except for Triple Hole, Tenpin Alley (Lochsa), Pistol (MF), maybe Big Mallard (Main) ...most of it is big, but most don't require slowing down the action

And maybe those pullers are inexperienced and need to slow everything down? Definitely underscores the reason to have a crew who has similar abilities and expectations to make a trip run smoothly! (and be Zen when you're stuck with them but maybe pick an earlier camp or don't invite them next time!)
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2011
Iíve never thought about my rowing style! Iím most definitely a ďpullerĒ. But I guess started out in drift boats, in low class water, trying to ďposition keepĒ for long stretches. I spend a lot of time making sure Iím aligned for every run when I get to the lip.

That said, Iíve definitely moved on from one piece wood oars. My first pair of sawyer 1 piece ash, dynelite oars were stolen from my parked drift boat. Replaced them with MX shafts and dynelite blades. So nice to be able to break them down and lock them away.

I recently ordered a new 16í 156R (in teal!) and also ordered mx shafts, but with V-Lam blades. Iím looking forward to trying them out.
Norcalcoastie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
And maybe those pullers are inexperienced and need to slow everything down? Definitely underscores the reason to have a crew who has similar abilities and expectations to make a trip run smoothly! (and be Zen when you're stuck with them but maybe pick an earlier camp or don't invite them next time!)
Yes, they were not very experienced. Actually, at between 800 and 1200cfs there is not much action to require slowing down, except in Disaster Falls. Their style was to upstream ferry to maneuver. Likely the very first thing they were taught.

It was their permit and I was very grateful to attend. They asked me to be the on the river TL but after many episodes of coaching and encouragement (to "push") because there were miles to go before we beached; my TL decision was to make camp early and not to venture into Triplet and Hell's Half Mile in fading light. Turns out to have been the right decision.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote