ALUMINUM PIPE AND TUBE SLEEVING - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-19-2014   #1

Boise, Idaho
ALUMINUM PIPE AND TUBE SLEEVING

Hello all ye buzzards

Does anyone have or know of a good guide for finding different diameters and extrusions of aluminum pipe and tubing that will fit inside one another? This fall/winter I am looking at starting some projects: small diameter modular aluminum frames, and designing a new oar blade. For the frame project(s) I am curious what size small diameter pipes/tubes will telescope well with each other to help with constructing breakdown frames. For the oar blade project I am curious about the diameter of aluminum pipes and tubes available that will readily telescope into an oar shaft. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Drew

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014   #2

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I stumbled on a site not too long ago that listed specs on all kinds of tubing and pipe, what I recall is that I couldn't find od's that matched, or were slightly under, the id of 1 1/4" IPS (NRS) and moved on. Sorry I don't recall where I found it, but it was at an online AL supplier, I'm sure google will lead you there eventually.

FWIW, there is a standards for both "pipe" and "tubing" I believe pipe sizes are fewer in number and more commonly used, therefore easier to find and cheaper. What I've seen in the boat world is that most big names make their own stuff. I don't think that boads well for you idea. They wouldn't go to the trouble of making things if they could buy off the shelf products that would work (think NRS's breakdown side rail kit; a casting, machined to fit inside their tubing).

I know sawyer blades have an AL sleeve that fits into the oar (mine are the 1 3/4" shafts) and that sleeve is machined - actually it looks sanded, maybe on a simple lathe but it's definitely been worked.

I wish you luck finding such items, just be aware you may not find what you need and may need to get more creative. Remember AL is pretty easy to work so with some basic equipment you may be able to adapt things that are "close".
Old 09-19-2014   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Easy...... PIPE is measured by ID (internal Dimension) TUBING is measured by OD (Outside Dimension).
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014   #4

Belgrade, Montana
So here is a site I just looked up following GC guides comment: Order Aluminum 6061 Tube in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com

When you look down it you'll find they list a lot of different wall thicknesses for this tubing. there are a few where you should be able to get 1" OD tube to fit into their 1.25" od tube (1.009" ID) and you could the 1" tube with .25" wall (nice and heavy) for an internal splice type thing... Interesting...apparently I didn't research enough myself last year. Good luck!

edited to replace where I incorrectly called the tubing referred to on this site "pipe"...
Old 09-19-2014   #5

Boise, Idaho
Excellent, thank you elkhaven. I glanced at the link you provided and it has already been helpful. If anyone has any further information, obvious or otherwise, please feel free to chime in...
Old 09-23-2014   #6
"Just Read and Run Baby!"

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
Pipe and tubing are measured differently as posted above. It was also stated that 1 1/4" pipe is 1 1/4" I.D. It Isn't. It's actually 1.360". 1 1/2" pipe is 1.60" I.D.
followthebubbleline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014   #7

Boise, Idaho
As far as I know the NRS pipe dimensions are 1.66'' and 1.38'' but I could be wrong...
Old 09-25-2014   #8

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by followthebubbleline View Post
Pipe and tubing are measured differently as posted above. It was also stated that 1 1/4" pipe is 1 1/4" I.D. It Isn't. It's actually 1.360". 1 1/2" pipe is 1.60" I.D.
depends on the schedule of the pipe. pipe diameters are nominal too, no tight spec on the actual true dims. thats' why sometimes you get nrs lopros that fit tight, othertimes there is lots of slop.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by followthebubbleline View Post
Actually I don't see anywhere that it was stated that 1 1/4" pipe had an ID of 1 1/4"... just references to that nominal size and an example from the linked web site that lists tubing with an OD of 1.25" with a 1.09" ID fitting around their 1.0" OD pipe...

secondly some sites list schedule 40 1 1/4" pipe with an ID of 1.36" - as Slamkal noted they're nominal measurements and typically aren't very consistent. Something to consider for the OP is to check on the tolerance of the materials before ordering. If the tolerances aren't tight (small numbers like +/- .001 than you might think about erring on the bigger difference side - i.e. go with a pipe with 1.09" ID for a sleeve to fit outside a pipe with a 1.00" OD vs a 1.02 ID over a 1.00 OD if say the tolerance was +/- .02" (all numbers picked from thin air to illustrate a point)... that's all assuming you can live with some slop, if not you may have to mill areas to get the fit your looking for.
Old 09-25-2014   #10

littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Look as s steel construction manual, get steel supplier like ryerson steels hand book..go to who you are going to purchase your materials from and they will give you a handbook with this data.
colo4o is offline   Reply With Quote