Any thoughts on aluminum dutch ovens?

GSI Aluminum 12" Dutch Oven at nrs.com

dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017   #2

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Yes. Definitely worth it to get the anodized one. Much harder and less bendy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017   #3

Nampa, Idaho
Oh yeah I also wanted to add that the anodized aluminum are amazing. So much lighter. I love all 5 of mine. I have two 10", two 12", and one 14" ovens. And 6 cast iron ones that I love too, just in a different way.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017   #4

If your going AL check out the partner steel ones. We use the 10-12-14. They stack and pack great and are constructed of plate aluminum that is anadized vs the cast with the Gsi. The lids function as griddles and the bodies work great as large pots. I made a carting bag with tool compartments under the lid and that is a key piece of the kitchen kit. We have used this system for 10 years and are very happy.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
I have lodge cast iron, aluminum units from several manufacturers, a couple Partner Steel units, and a lot of GSI hard anodized aluminum units.

I love the Lodge for biscuits and cornbread, do not use the standard aluminum units hardly ever and for the most part have standardized on GSI hard anodized dutch ovens 10,12, and 14. The reason being the GSI units are easier in my opinion, to carry around, wash like any cooking gear and bake almost as good as the Lodge. I am a big fan of Partner Steel gear. I rarely use Partner Steel Dutch Ovens as to me the round standard design GSI units seem to me to bake a bit easier - my opinion only and others may feel different.

GSI sells aluminium and hard anodized DO's the GSE web site posted:

Our Hard Anodized version is the next best thing to non-stick and no seasoning is ever required. With its high-performance, non-reactive surface, hard anodized aluminum also provides exceptional efficiency and uniformity, meaning that these are three dutch ovens which are very easy to live with.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017   #6

Lawrence, Kansas
Partner steel - no legs?

Hi - How do you adapt to not having legs on the partner steel dutch ovens? Can you still do the normal dutch oven charcoal on the bottom and on the top thing? I love baking bread and brownies and such in my lodge model, but I'd also love to make the weight tradeoff.

Thanks!
ktrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017   #7

Nampa, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrout View Post
Hi - How do you adapt to not having legs on the partner steel dutch ovens? Can you still do the normal dutch oven charcoal on the bottom and on the top thing? I love baking bread and brownies and such in my lodge model, but I'd also love to make the weight tradeoff.

Thanks!
Use a base.
Old 03-09-2017   #8

Lawrence, Kansas
Nice - didn't even know those existed. Works just as well? Nonstick enough? Thanks for the info.
ktrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
GSI makes DO bases that fold nicely. I use mine with my Rome rectangular DO.

I find that Cast Iron DOs are really difficult to maintain when you have different cook groups using the same gear. I seem to always find rust on mine after others use them. The Anodized GSi doesn't cook as well, but it is so simple that I even let my son borrow it.
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017   #10

., .
Stainless Steel Dutch Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by twmartin View Post
I find that Cast Iron DOs are really difficult to maintain when you have different cook groups using the same gear. I seem to always find rust on mine after others use them. The Anodized GSi doesn't cook as well, but it is so simple that I even let my son borrow it.

Years ago, I moved away from cast iron DO for this exact reason to aluminum DO. There was always someone on a river trip who, despite saying not to, would scrub most of the seasoning out and I would fight with rust the remainder of the trip. Then the hassle of reconditioning them properly after arriving back home.

For years, Iíve had great success with the GSI DO. But several years ago, I acquired a stainless steel DO without any feet on the bottom. This has now become my dedicated DO for use. Being stainless steel, I get more consistent cooking results like cast iron, but the ease of use of an aluminum.

The stainless steel DO is very versatile, we use it with charcoal, stove top cooking, to boiling hot water. I actually keep it in my kitchen at home and use it all the time on the stove top or in the oven. It gets used more at home, than on the river.
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote