All American Trailers & 13in Wheels - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-06-2017   #1

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
All American Trailers & 13in Wheels

Ok, first of all, sorry for another trailer thread. I've been going through the old stuff, but still have some questions...

Does anyone have any feedback on All American's trailers (out of Commerce City)? They have a pretty nice looking setup with a steel frame. My outfitter buddy says he won't buy another aluminum trailer, even for personal use, so I've been looking at steel. My only concern is the 13in wheels. I think 15 would be better for both highway and for gnarly boat ramps. Anyone who has a trailer with 13s who has any thoughts? Almost all of the turnkey raft trailers (Aluma, etc.) seem to be outfitted with 13s. All American says they can retrofit for a couple hundred bucks, but say it isn't necessary.

I also found Martin Industries who makes custom trailers with 15in wheels. Anyone have any feedback?

Thanks in advance, sorry for being needy. I have a new Hyside 14XT with a big heavy duty frame, and want a winch/roller setup that will let me and maybe one other person to handle loading/unloading.

Thanks in advance!

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2017   #2

Awesome, Colorado
"Martin Industries" is RatRax. People that like them seem to like them from what I can tell. Don't know what their prices are like though.
climbbd510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017   #3

ChroniclesofGnarnia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4/20
I have a raft trailer with roller from American, believe it has around12-15k on it. Been on 4,1200-2000 mi trips heavily loaded (3boats and gear). I have only pumped grease into the hubs as far as maintenance and have replaced tires once. Been great so far, lil rust already but it's been through mag chloride snow storms. Friend has one as well, American swapped his bearings for super cheap.

Be sweet if they made one powder coated

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2017   #4

Eagle County, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
I have a raft trailer with roller from American, believe it has around12-15k on it. Been on 4,1200-2000 mi trips heavily loaded (3boats and gear). I have only pumped grease into the hubs as far as maintenance and have replaced tires once. Been great so far, lil rust already but it's been through mag chloride snow storms. Friend has one as well, American swapped his bearings for super cheap.

Be sweet if they made one powder coated

Cool! How well does that winch work for an outfitted boat? 13in wheels get you to those class V boat launches ok?
Old 04-06-2017   #5

ChroniclesofGnarnia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4/20
Yeah winch is good, does fine for my buddies 15' with gear. I honesty don't use the winch that much unless guiding or "class v" boat ramps. Roller bar is amazing haha. Yeah the 13" have been fine. Was thinking of going bigger/wider just for the durability factor plus I think u can get a better tire in the 15"?

Why is your friend against the aluminum? I was thinking of swapping honestly, lighter no rust.

jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017   #6

idaho falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2010
13 inch wheels

I just bought a Mission 5x10 aluminum trailer with 13" wheels, and my last trailer was steel with 15" wheels. The 13"s do just fine. The aluminum trailer is so light, it helps to have some weight in it or its a little bouncy. It might have something to do with the smaller tires, but the trailer only weighs 400lbs
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017   #7

Eagle County, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
Why is your friend against the aluminum? I was thinking of swapping honestly, lighter no rust.

He's had a bunch of trailers for his outfitting business and says the aluminum bends and cracks too easily and is hard to repair.