Airecell floor bladder leaking between i beams - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-23-2018   #1

Airecell floor bladder leaking between i beams

So my Aire SDP had a slow floor leak I've been ignoring for a bit, and finally decided to take a look at it today. Valve appears to be good, I took the bladder out and sprayed it down with soapy water, and it appears that that the floor is leaking across long parts of the weld between the i beams. Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/VM1RosLpArs

I am going to contact Aire on Monday about it, but in the case its not still under warranty, what is the best way to go about repairing this? Patching doesn't seem like the best move, could I simply stabond it all the way down the seems? Any recommendations would be appreciate

Thanks!!

ssr384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2018   #2

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I would patch before I would just stabond. If you really want to avoid patching, maybe a polyurethane raft coating like system 6, but i doubt that any straight coating will last long with that kind of leakage.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018   #3
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
What year is your SDP? (serial umber will tell you) Has it been used commercially? Aire has 5 year on any boat used commercially / 10 year when all private. If you are out of warranty, just buy a new AireCell from Aire. I believe they were in the $650 range, but you might get a deal by letting them know your are a loyal customer. You could always try smearing Aquaseal down seam as a quick fix, but i would not count on that to last more than a few days / weeks.
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2018   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Danville, California
Paddling Since: 1970
First mark all the leaking areas with a sharpie marker, then hose off all the soap with fresh water. Let it dry completely & deflate. Then apply Aquaseal to all those areas with a business card, or a brush with the bristles cut short (to make it stiffer). Let the Aquaseal dry overnight, and you're good to go.

Aquaseal does come in 8 ounce tubes if you can find it, so if there are a lot of rows with leaks you might hunt the big tube down. The regular tubes are only 3/4 ounce now so they don't go far.

We repaired multiple AIRE floor cells this way and it works like a charm. The Aquaseal adheres very well to the fabric side of the packcloth bladders. Patching the fabric with Clifton or Stabond is far less reliable.
theBoatPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018   #5

Thanks a ton for the advice guys, I'm gonna give the aquaseal a go per your rec BoatPeople, she's off on a MFS trip next, so appreciate the quick replies!
Old 06-25-2018   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Is it a lot of little pinhole leaks and an older boat? Aire had a manufacturing defect on the floor cells awhile back. When I called and explained my problem and gave them the boat's serial number, they shipped me a free new floor bladder.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018   #7

Well thanks for the heads up atg, and huge props to Aire. It was an older boat, outside of warranty, and I described the problem and gave them the serial, and they just put a new bladder in the mail for me. Outstanding customer service, huge thanks to Ryder at Aire
Old 06-26-2018   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Sweet!

For future reference or if you hadn't gotten a new bladder on warranty, I wonder if a big strip of tear-aid would hold?

I have some in my repair kit, didn't think much of it until I used it on a towable "ski" tube with an exposed pinhole. The 1" square of tear-aid has held for 5 years with nary a leak. I'm a believer!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018   #9

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Sweet!

For future reference or if you hadn't gotten a new bladder on warranty, I wonder if a big strip of tear-aid would hold?

I have some in my repair kit, didn't think much of it until I used it on a towable "ski" tube with an exposed pinhole. The 1" square of tear-aid has held for 5 years with nary a leak. I'm a believer!
That's funny! I use the defective floor from my 156 r for a floating lounge on the river where I live. Thought about d rings for towing.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I had the same issue with my 156r floor. I patched it with aquaseal and it held, but more and more pin holes appeared. I also contacted AIRE and had a new floor shipped free of charge. Best customer services in the biz!
Also, Tear-Aid will not hold on the Urethane floor bladders. Works on all the other air cells, but not the thicker material on the floor.
I keep a fresh tube of Aquaseal in my repair kit in case of a floor puncture.
Again, props to AIRE on honoring there produce, even out of warranty.
jwburdge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire