Aire Tributary 14 HD vs RMR 14' Raft (SB-140) - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-11-2018   #1

Aire Tributary 14 HD vs RMR 14' Raft (SB-140)

Can't decide between the Aire Tributary 14 HD or RMR 14' Raft (SB-140). Any advice?

ShufflingCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2018   #2

Livingston, Montana
Paddling Since: 1974
Based on personal experience, I would stick with the Aire. I was not impressed with my Rocky Mountain, and their customer service was difficult to deal with.
mtgreenheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018   #3

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
I will say that RMR has been great to deal with. I have an RMR PhatCat and while the material quality is not on par with Aire you get what you pay for. The construction on the RMR is great. Seams are clean, welds are nice.

All that said they are definitely different boats. The Aire is going to have a ballast floor. I am not a fan of these personally but many others are. RMR is definitely more affordable that Aire, Aire has a great warranty and their material feels nicer. I have no doubt that my RMR will last nearly as long as any other boat I have owned with proper care.

If I were in the market for a new boat right now the RMR with a dropstitch floor would be pretty high on the list.
missiongravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2018   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Personally I like the higher kick of the rmr. I had a couple small issues on my rmr that I got fixed under warranty. Customer service seemed a little hard to get ahold of, but once I found where to talk to the right person they got it fixed up no problem. Nothing major, just little stuff that I figured I would get repaired while it was still under warranty. Cost was also a factor in my purchase, but I definitely feel I will get my money’s worth and then some out of this boat. My only gripe is the weight, which the trib doesn’t do much better on. Hopefully when/if I need to replace this boat I’ll be able to afford something in a lighter material.
protechie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018   #5
Sponsoring Vendors

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgreenheads View Post
Based on personal experience, I would stick with the Aire. I was not impressed with my Rocky Mountain, and their customer service was difficult to deal with.
mtgreenheads,

I am sorry to hear that. We strive to do our best. Could you send us a message about how we failed you. I would like to make it right and do not make the same mistakes again.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 09-12-2018   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by missiongravity View Post
All that said they are definitely different boats. The Aire is going to have a ballast floor. I am not a fan of these personally but many others are. RMR is definitely more affordable that Aire, Aire has a great warranty and their material feels nicer. I have no doubt that my RMR will last nearly as long as any other boat I have owned with proper care.
If I were in the market for a new boat right now the RMR with a dropstitch floor would be pretty high on the list.
I have a Trib 13.0. Really fun boat. It's reasonably large for a 13-footer--almost the width/tube size of most 14-footers. The 14.0 Trib has volume more similar to a 15' raft.

But I don't love its ballast floor. I have to agree with mg above; a dropstitch floor would put any boat high on my list.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018   #7

Arnold, California
Keep in mind the Trib is not the same quality as the full boat Aire's, nor priced that way either. They are glued whereas the RMR are welded. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Aire with 5 in the shed + a Trib. I have also rowed the Grand in a RMR. Go for the design you like best, but between the 2 I'd probably slightly lean toward RMR... Or spend a bit more and get an Aire
Old 09-12-2018   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Tribs are welded

Chinese-made Tribs are made on the same sewing and welding equipment as the American-made Aires.

They are made of thinner PVC

Tributary 14.0 SB review by TBP - Comments Reviews on theboatpeople.com Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks Products & Service
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018   #9

Arnold, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Tribs are welded

Chinese-made Tribs are made on the same sewing and welding equipment as the American-made Aires.

They are made of thinner PVC

Tributary 14.0 SB review by TBP - Comments Reviews on theboatpeople.com Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks Products & Service

Ok. Good to know. I always thought they were glued.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 09-12-2018   #10

Arnold, California
I just looked up prices for both - they are cheaper than I was expecting. See who gives the best off-season deal to ya.

Cheers,
Dave

Tags
aire