aire trib 14... good for a first raft????? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-07-2011   #1

bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
aire trib 14... good for a first raft?????

Thinking about a used 2011 tributary 14 for $1900. can I get some feedback from boaters who've had experience with them...positive and negative. would be set up with a frame and gear for single and multiple day trips with wife and two kids. thanks!

meanjoebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011   #2

Lawson, Colorado
We sold our sailboat Spring of 2006 and bought a 14' Trib...one of the first years they made them I think. Wrapping up our 6th season with it, well...still got a few more trips planned this year. Boat has been down Deso twice, WW x5, Chama twice, RHT, Browns and Upper C too many times to count, and numerous runs on our local Clear Creek.

We run an oar frame for most trips, but plenty of paddle team on the CC too. This boat easily supports my wife and I for a week long trip on Deso. For RHT we built custom decks...if you see a trib that looks like a putting green that is us! Oh yeah...River Sombreros rock!

Other than what I would consider normal wear and tear we have had no problems with the boat and I expect that I will be with us another 6 seasons at least...unless I sell it to my brother or the rabbit's brother and move up to a cat rig
eze420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #3

bend, Oregon
thanks eze420. what frame do run with that and what length oars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011   #4

Lawson, Colorado
I got my boat at a spring sale, local retailer (now out of business) as a package deal so I didn't have the chance to pick and choose. I've got the DRE Colorado 3-bay with blue mesh chair:

Colorado

Frame has been fine although think I would prefer a 4-bay. Holds a Yeti 120 and DRE dry box no problem, and 2x rocket boxes in the captain's area. I built a custom footboard this season and that is very nice.

Oars are SGG...pretty sure they are 10' shafts. SGG Shafts

Everything Bag...another major upgrade for your overnight trips.

$1900 for the rubber seems like a great deal if it's in good condition.
Old 09-08-2011   #5

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
That sounds like a great deal. You could probably add one of those trailer gadgets if you are looking for a 4th bay (check with DRE). I think Tributaries might be made of PVC. The downside to this is that they are tough to fold up unlike lets say the NRS hypalon boats. At the price your getting I wouldn't worry about it.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #6

Lawson, Colorado
They are PVC...I have never owned a Hypalon boat to compare, but my trib is very easy to roll up and store. In fact, I just rolled it up the other night so I could make room to build my new trailer. My buddy has an older Aire...valve placement means he usually needs a reverse pump to suck out the air...I never need that with my trib probably due to the valve location being higher on the tubes.

In fact, almost every trip I've made is with the boat rolled up so I've done it many times, including the take outs for most of the above mentioned trips. Now I have a trailer...will be living the good life soon

For winter storage, clean it out including opening the floor (very easy there is a bladder in there), then let it all dry out thoroughly before rolling up loosely for the winter.
Old 09-08-2011   #7

Edwards, Colorado
I also bought a new Trib 14' five or so years ago. I have a DRE frame that is a 4 bay, I guess technically, but the bay just behind the seat is pretty narrow - there's just not a lot of length to work with for a full four bay. That narrow bay works great for some gear though and I'm happy with it. I can camp our family of four just fine for a weekend and two of us have done several extended trips with plenty of room. I also have it set up to add a front thigh bar and rear seat hoop for fly fishing. Quick couple right in and out. I use it in that configuration a lot. It is a very versatile boat for my uses. The boat has held up great and I'm very happy with it. Maybe it's not bomber enough for guide service but it is holding up for me just fine.
SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011   #8

bend, Oregon
thanks for all the feedback. it all sounds positive. seems like everybody likes the dre frames. is that cuz youre in CO. or do you not like or have had problems with nrs or other frames?
Old 09-09-2011   #9
fun hog

D-go go, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I second everything that's been said about how great the tribs are and how well they hold up. I run mine with an NRS rowing frame for the day runs and an nrs outfitter 1 frame for multi-days/bigger trips...never had a problem and the boat holds a ton of gear...I have paddled a fair bit of class four and when loaded, the boat def does not move as quickly or as nimble as a puma or similar, sportier type crafts...that being said- is you need an affordable workhorse, the trib is great- those chinese slave children can work wonders with the pvc...
mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011   #10

Edwards, Colorado
I felt the DRE frame was the best choice for me, as I was able to sit in their shop and knock around ideas with their guys, see other examples, and see different configurations sitting on the boat. They were and have been very good to work with.
SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire