Aire Super Puma Opinions for Multi Day - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-28-2015   #1

G.Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Aire Super Puma Opinions for Multi Day

Hey everyone. Looking at ordering a new boat package tomorrow for the upcoming season and thought I would get some feedback or input before ordering the package. I have been thinking of running the super puma as a one person with some gear and occasionally a second person. I will be using it for multi day trips mainly. Not many Aire boats in my neck of the woods, mainly Sotar. So I was looking for some pics of super pumas with frame setups to look at. I will be having a frame made local for the boat and was just wondering if anyone has been able to get 2 dry box and a cooler in this little boat and how it works on a 3-4 day with 2 people. I go light on the packing. Any photos of your setups would be sweet.

RogueRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
2 small dry boxes and a small cooler, sure no problem. The inside width of the boat is only 31 inches most standard multi day sized boxes and coolers are in the mid 30 inch range for length.

If the width of each is about 15 inches range you will have 21 inches between your cooler and box for leg room which is a bit tight but not bad.
cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #3

Cave Creek, Arizona
Why are you looking at the Puma series? Are you going to paddle it also, or just want a very maneuverable oar boat? I have seen people use the Super Puma on overnight trips, but the D series would make a better gear hauling rig.
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015   #4

G.Pass, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by InflatableSteve View Post
Why are you looking at the Puma series? Are you going to paddle it also, or just want a very maneuverable oar boat? I have seen people use the Super Puma on overnight trips, but the D series would make a better gear hauling rig.
Just looking for a smaller boat, My boating buddies all have larger rafts and we go light enough there is always extra room in their boats for gear. One of my friends just picked up a new Sotar 15SL about a month long ago and got his custom frame for it a few days ago and he has gobs of room with all the boxes. So we have plenty of cargo carrying ability.
Old 04-28-2015   #5

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Didn't have a puma but ran a 13' Maravia spider. A 4 bay is possible but I ran a 3 bay and was happy with a passenger up front for 3-4 days. Its a great size boat and I regret selling it. There are some pics in my profile of a loaded 13' spider. I consider that size boat kinda like a jeep as far as versatility and go anywhere abilities. Plus you can R2 waterfalls and other crazy stuff if you like.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #6
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I took a loaded super puma on a 16 day grand trip and everything went smooth. Here are a couple pics from that trip. First one the superpuma is far left and second pic it is far right but a couple of the other boats were superdupers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	super-puma.jpg
Views:	1305
Size:	456.4 KB
ID:	9775   Click image for larger version

Name:	super-puma2.jpg
Views:	923
Size:	499.7 KB
ID:	9776  

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #7

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
13' D series?.....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #8

G.Pass, Oregon
Thanks Mania, That's what I was looking for a loaded boat.
Old 05-01-2015   #9

G.Pass, Oregon
Ordered up the little guy and my frame package, stoked! I will post pics of the build when it is done. Hey does anyone know what's up with not being able to get squaretops?? Cant even buy them local even checked the drift boat dealer and no one wants to cut loose? They said Sawyer is having issues producing oars
Old 05-01-2015   #10

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Happens a lot this time of year-

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire