Aire Sabertooth vs Wavedestroyer or Sotar Legend... - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-10-2017   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Aire Sabertooth vs Wavedestroyer or Sotar Legend...

Hey all,

So I've been thinking about getting a setup to run day trips and harder whitewater to go along with my Aire 136DD and Avon Pro oar rig setups and I'd like to go with a Cataraft but keep going back and forth on a paddlecat like the Sabertooth or a small framed Surf Cat like a 12-13' Wavedestroyer or Legend. I like that the Sabertooth could be both an oar rig and an R2-R4 paddle rig. Its also easier and cheaper to make a frame for. Upside of a framed Cataraft is more room for gear due to no thwarts and the frames for them usually are designed for more clearance which the thwarts on the Sabertooth don't offer.

Honestly I'm leaning towards the Sabertooth or a similar Paddlecat style setup (kinda dig the Star Inflatables Slice too) but wanted to get some input from others on their experience with either of these options (and hopefully some from people have done both).

Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2017   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I've taken a Sabertooth on a 7 day upper Owyhee trip and 6 day middle fork salmon you should have no worries about gear if you pack light. I've also run it down Pine Creek and the upper animas so I wouldn't worry about clearance.

Its easier to pack than a standard cat frame since it has a floor. the floor is also nice for standing up for scouting or high-siding.

I have R2'd it but mostly end up rowing it. I wouldn't try to R4 it, it isn't that big.

This attachment shows how we rigged cats for the 7 day Owyhee trip (confluence of EF/SF with upper). sabertooth is the white boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000090.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	23762  
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017   #3

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
I pretty much did that. I had a 10 foot bobcat for a while a play boat and it was a hoot to paddle, and could pretty much go any where, but, it was a one person boat. Eventually I got a JPW culebra, and was able to get my son started on whitewater ( it was really easy to R-1) and was able to keep him on the water till he gained the confidence to paddle his own boat.
It took me about 8 years to finally slap a simple frame on it (from rowframe.com) and it is a blast. almost as maneuverable as the bobcat, way less time to get it on the water, and the ability to run it as a paddle rig. I do think the sabertooth will be better than the culebra as an oar rig because it is longer and will be less sensitive to fore aft balance issues.
The frameless boat will go together faster, the cat will be stiffer. I like the greater versatility, but that is just me. Having said all that, there may be a guy out east selling a relatively new hyside, oars and frame around albany NY for a pretty good deal. He was posting on NPMB. It did have a goofy slantboard seat.
jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2017   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Star was bought by NRS....no new slices or anything with a star logo. Hopefully nrs just slaps a new logo and keeps selling them.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire