AIRE Sabertooth - Rowing Frame? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-27-2014  

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
AIRE Sabertooth - Rowing Frame?

I know the AIRE Sabertooth is marketed/pushed as an R2 boat but is anyone running frames on them (or on similar craft) for use with conventional oars? I'm thinking this would make a great sort of compromise craft - sort of a cross between a raft and cataraft in some regards. Some of the benefits of a raft, but some of the performance attributes of a cataraft in some regards. Any input? I've always leaned towards catarafts but....trying to keep an open mind here. I notice the waterline is longer (per specs on their website?) than their 13' Wave Destroyer tubes, but they have a somewhat similar "kick."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014  
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
It would be perfect. However, buy the boat first and have the frame custom built. The front and back tubes on the Sabertooth rise up above the top of the boat a few inches and an ideal frame fit would be snug inside of them. Because every boat is a little different you'll want to measure the boat before hand. If you want to center the oars you'll want some weight toward the front so get a good watertight cooler that you can fill with water for your front bay. 8 1/2 foot oars are what you want for this. The spare will fit better as a breakdown stowed on both sides.

Please post pics if you do this. I demoed a ST and immediately wanted to row one!
Old 08-27-2014  

Durango, Colorado
Ask Mania. He runs one with a frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014  
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Oops, just noticed you're Canadian. You'll want the 2.5908 meter oars.
Old 08-27-2014  

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Oops, just noticed you're Canadian. You'll want the 2.5908 meter oars.
LOL - 8 1/2 foot sounds fine. Because we are so intermingled with the USA, most Canadians use feet and inches still although officially we are "metric." The only metric most people use in Canada is for measuring speed (km/h) and in most cases, for weather (celsius over fahrenheit - I still use fahrenheit in most cases). I still convert though to Miles per US Gallon however as it makes the most sense to me for figuring gas mileage. Thanks for the input!
Old 08-27-2014  

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
It would be perfect. However, buy the boat first and have the frame custom built. The front and back tubes on the Sabertooth rise up above the top of the boat a few inches and an ideal frame fit would be snug inside of them. Because every boat is a little different you'll want to measure the boat before hand. If you want to center the oars you'll want some weight toward the front so get a good watertight cooler that you can fill with water for your front bay. 8 1/2 foot oars are what you want for this. The spare will fit better as a breakdown stowed on both sides.

Please post pics if you do this. I demoed a ST and immediately wanted to row one!
I'd probably opt for an NRS frame at the end of the day for the versatility and ability to configure it different.

Just thinking out loud here - again your input is most appreciated - if I orientated the frame for the oarsman to be more towards the front - do you think the front foot cups would be a good "brace" for your feet while honking on the oars? Would they hold up or would a frame bar be better?

I'm trying to think if I could make this a decent 2 man boat for shuttling between fishing spots, or a one man boat for short overnighters, or just whitewater fun, etc. Or maybe even a boat 2 guys could fly fish out of (oarsman, angler in front, etc.). The NRS frame would offer me versatility in this regard which is why I would lean towards that. The only downside I see is that you lose the technical height between the tubes due to the inflable cross members, which water can act upon - one of the advantages of a cat with high riding frame. Similar length cat tube would be cheaper (wave destroyer 12 or 13) but you'd pay more for the frame due to the inner length bars to hold onto the inner d-rings so in the end you'd come out about the same give or take price wise. But the Sabertooth to me looks like a more "secure" looking craft if it's fair to say. That's what I like it. But I like cat's with no floor or anything in the bay for technical water where there isn't as much in the middle to act upon the boat if it's fair to say. Any thoughts about this are appreciated it. I guess it's all about trade offs.
Old 08-27-2014  

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
I did find this picture/link: Gear: Aire adds new paddle cat ยป Idaho Statesman Blogs
Old 08-27-2014  

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
I saw a guy running oars on his on the Salmon. Its a small cat. Pretty simple.

I have a JPWINC Culebra with a very simple NRS frame on it. 48" width, 8" towers, 8' oars. Sometimes I wish the oars were 7.5's, but they work fine. My buddy loves 8.5's for his 54" frame.

I have two straight crossbars that sit in front of the thwarts. I made seat boards that I strap to the bars and the boat. Keeping the rig light is key. It only takes about 30lbs forward to counterbalance my weight. Just like any cat, it overloads very easily and becomes awkward. But it is fun rowing up to class 4+ on technical water.
Old 08-28-2014  

Bozeman, Montana
I think, unless you are looking for a paddle boat go with a traditional cat. Those cross tubes take up so much space. Putting a simple frame on a paddle cat to gain some versatility makes sense to me but it sounds like to me you want an oar rig all or most of the time. That paddle cat set up will work but you give up an awful lot of space. I have a couple buddies with WDs one 15 and one 14 and they are both very well set up for white water and carrying gear, lots of gear actually. They wouldn't be that great to fish from but to get you and a buddy from spot to spot they would be fine. Just seems like a lot less trade offs.

Jim
Old 08-28-2014  
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Here is my setup as seen on this photo from the Upper Animas. 54" wide NRS frame ant 8ft oars. it's pretty sweet. Any questions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sabertooth-frame.jpg
Views:	3828
Size:	986.5 KB
ID:	8883  

Tags
aire