Aire Sabertooth - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-28-2015   #1

Golden, Colorado
Aire Sabertooth

We currently have a puma and love Aire. The issue is the boat is a little heavy for my wife and I to R2 with the floor that takes on water. My brother has an original shredder and is a great boat. But has some draw backs. Ie fabric is light but not as durable as Aire PVC with bladder. And your feet are alway in water. Which is okay on the Yough were the shredder was born or eastern rivers that are warmer but here with water in the 40s the feet get cold.

So the reSon for the post... Has anyone heard of Aire making an option for an inflatable floor similar to the new design of the star inflatable Cataraft.

gobigohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2015   #2

Cave Creek, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigohome View Post
We currently have a puma and love Aire. The issue is the boat is a little heavy for my wife and I to R2 with the floor that takes on water. My brother has an original shredder and is a great boat. But has some draw backs. Ie fabric is light but not as durable as Aire PVC with bladder. And your feet are alway in water. Which is okay on the Yough were the shredder was born or eastern rivers that are warmer but here with water in the 40s the feet get cold.

So the reSon for the post... Has anyone heard of Aire making an option for an inflatable floor similar to the new design of the star inflatable Cataraft.
I don't have any experience with the Sabertooth, but I sure would like to try it out. I have never heard of Aire offering a inflatable floor option for the Sabertooth, and if they were willing to make one for you it would probably be pretty expensive. Though I think the floor in the Sabertooth rides a little higher than other paddle cats, so unless you are in constant whitewater the standard floor should be ok.

Sheena from Aire may chime in here.
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Step 1- Go to the gym
Step 2- Get big
Step 3- Press and carry the puma yourself, it's only 100lbs and the water drains when you stand it on end.
Step 4- Get a massage from the ol lady because " I had to carry the puma all by my lonesome".
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Hi

Aire makes great boats .....but ....so do others

What about the hyside mini max ?

It is lighter, and makes a great r2 boat.

Or

You could get some warmmer footwear and go for a shredder type boat....having owned the paddlecat. ..I agree abot the wet floor and cold feet .

Paddle on

scott
shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015   #5

Golden, Colorado
I know this is an old thread but.. The weight of the puma for me to carry is not the issue. It's how it feels in the water to the wife. I just installed footcups so hopefully that will give her some more leverage for the power strokes.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Old 05-20-2015   #6
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
I R2 my Super Puma all the time. In some big water and some technical creeks (as well as some small water and non technical water). It does take some work to move, but the puma is even smaller. We don't have foot cups, just 3 thwarts and that has been fine for staying in the boat. Portaging sucks for R2, but can be done, especially if you have a probe (kayaker) or another boat with you. The minimax and paddle cat (Hyside) are great for R2. I would love to try a Saber Tooth, but the Super Puma is a such a versatile boat that I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. R1 to R7 with option to run a frame for solo or family boating.
Old 05-20-2015   #7

Golden, Colorado
Agreed that's why we still have the puma. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1432150263.889813.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	9920

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Old 05-20-2015   #8

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Don't own one and it's not an Aire, but this thing is an R2 machine and has a floor like you want.

https://www.jpwinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=4316-culebra
Old 05-20-2015   #9

Cave Creek, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
Don't own one and it's not an Aire, but this thing is an R2 machine and has a floor like you want.

https://www.jpwinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=4316-culebra

I don't think the Culebra has an inflatable floor. I am pretty sure it is a straight laced in fabric like the Aire
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015   #10

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I apparently missed that important piece of info that he's looking for inflated floor. I originally saw it as get my feet out of the water, and I know the flooring in those keeps you out of the water(unless obviously in rapids)

Tags
aire