AIRE - lighter weights - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-08-2017   #1

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
AIRE - lighter weights

I just noticed on the AIRE website that they have worked with their fabric suppliers to make their tubes & rafts a bit lighter for 2017 models. Here is more information on what they did to achieve this: 2017 Materials Update

As an example - a set of 15' Wave Destroyer tubes used to weigh 78 pounds and now weigh 70 pounds which is a pretty significant weight savings. I personally have no doubts that they will retain the durability and quality they are known for.

Maybe Sheena from AIRE can go into greater detail but the basics are in the link above.

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017   #2

Ulm, Mountaina
Paddling Since: 1996
Wow, I saw this subject last week and I'm surprised that it didn't get more attention. After seeing it I've been trying to find more information but news on this seems to be scarce other than their own site.

So when I went to my previous catalogs from Aire, in 2014 they state that the fabric is 37/42 which is something I've always liked about Aire were the thicker floors and chafes, but in my 2015 it just says 37 (oz) How long ago did this happen? It may explain some things about one of my newer boats.

I'm not sure how I feel about this but I know that I'll never even notice the 7 pound loss. How much did I save on a 160DD?
Jonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017   #3

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2009
I'm also surprised this isn't getting more conversations going. I'm buying a 156R for this season. Based on Aire's website the 156R now weighs 132 lbs down from 169 lbs, thats a 22% decrease in weight! At 132 lbs thats lighter than all the other NW manufacturers of similar size.

I've talked to Aire and have been told new material has been well tested.

Anyway, its going to be a big water year so looking forward to a new boat!

jp
jprides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2017   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I need help with this. IMO Far too much is made of the weight factor. At 132lbs you still need at least two people to lift it and most likely 2 people on each side which is exactly the same as when it was 169lbs and still loads and handles exactly the same especially if you add a frame and gear. So what has been gained? On my 14WD I only save about 6lbs which doesn't do anything for me. The only one it helps is the guy that is packing his boat on his back or bike in which case he is going to try to find an old coolcat or go with a very small single chambered Sotar.

By pushing for lighter weight Mfrs seek to change the materials and my fear is that we lose durability. I'm an Aire fan and I have a hard time believing that they would make any change that would be problematic so I guess I need to be more open minded about this. I guess one advantage is that they are pushing the industry forward. Everything has to change I just hope it changes without losing the most important factor.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017   #5

Boise, Idaho
Wieght isnt a factor for me. I've been eyeing a 156R for quite some time (I already have a 143D and a couple Lynx 2)...and now that I'm ready I just noticed the material changes and a lot of weight was shaved. All I want is the same positive experience with this new boat (new material) as I've always had with the other three boats.
Old 02-23-2017   #6

., .
AIRE exclusively using 37oz material is NOT NEW for 2017. In fact, the 43oz material was quietly redacted from their 2015 catalog and unless you paid attention to the fine print of the specs matric, it had switched from the previous “35/43” to just “37”.

I personally believe this is just a marketing spin to deflect why they switched to a thinner floor material and thinner bladder material (15 mil urethane to a 12 mil), and the likely sole determination was to reduce cost and increase margins.

I understand the demand for lighter backpacking equipment and pack-rafts and that there is a compromise to durability for weight savings. However, rafts are just heavy to begin with and saving a little weight at the cost of durability as a sole reason doesn’t make sense to me.

Note: I’m a proud and happy owner of a Clavey Aire 156R Special Edition, which is made exclusively of the gray 43oz material. It’s not fancy and lime green, just plain gray, but it’s bomber tough.

In all honesty, if I were now in the market for a new raft, I would be less inclined to pull the trigger on a lighter weight AIRE. Durability is one of my key considerations I WEIGH heavily when purchasing a raft.

Let’s call a spade a spade, Cheers!
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017   #7

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Perhaps margins may have something to do with it but to quell your fears you also need to look at boats with the thinner 24/27 oz Ferrari fabric which I'm guessing also have 12 mm urethane in the Outcast line up (Outcast PAC series pontoon boats). These boats are plenty tough and there are many fine examples of them standing up to years of abuse much like their AIRE counterparts with thicker material. As you already know much of a boats abuse comes from out of water handling - trailering, loading, stacking, dragging, dropping, strips, abrasion points, etc. Also ask yourself another question: what are the chances or odds of you hitting something on the river hard enough that it causes catastrophic air loss to a chamber with 37 oz (12 mm) but with 43 oz (15 mm) it does not? Another thought - AIRE says with the extra layer of laquer it increases durability of the 37 oz material - I know they have some test they did (maybe in a lab) that compared their PVC material abrasion resistance to their new (at the time) Urethane material and they said it was about 10 times more abrasion resistant. How does the new 37 oz PVC material compare? Also consider that there are some guys running custom coloured AIRE wave destroyers with all 37 oz material due to the different than the grey 43 oz bottom material. Im guessing they aren't feeling lacking in any areas from a durability stand point.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 02-23-2017   #8

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverdoghenry View Post
AIRE exclusively using 37oz material is NOT NEW for 2017. In fact, the 43oz material was quietly redacted from their 2015 catalog and unless you paid attention to the fine print of the specs matric, it had switched from the previous ď35/43Ē to just ď37Ē.

I personally believe this is just a marketing spin to deflect why they switched to a thinner floor material and thinner bladder material (15 mil urethane to a 12 mil), and the likely sole determination was to reduce cost and increase margins.

I understand the demand for lighter backpacking equipment and pack-rafts and that there is a compromise to durability for weight savings. However, rafts are just heavy to begin with and saving a little weight at the cost of durability as a sole reason doesnít make sense to me.

Note: Iím a proud and happy owner of a Clavey Aire 156R Special Edition, which is made exclusively of the gray 43oz material. Itís not fancy and lime green, just plain gray, but itís bomber tough.

In all honesty, if I were now in the market for a new raft, I would be less inclined to pull the trigger on a lighter weight AIRE. Durability is one of my key considerations I WEIGH heavily when purchasing a raft.

Letís call a spade a spade, Cheers!

Just an FYI, I just talked with Clavey about getting their "special edition" 43oz 156R and Aire informed them they will no longer be able to make that for them.
Old 02-23-2017   #9

., .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprides View Post
Just an FYI, I just talked with Clavey about getting their "special edition" 43oz 156R and Aire informed them they will no longer be able to make that for them.
Unfortunately as I get older, it feels like Too Many Good Things (Come To An End)! I'll now place the "special edition" in that coffin.

I wish you the best of luck with your raft acquisition. Cheers!
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017   #10

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverdoghenry View Post

Letís call a spade a spade, Cheers!
The best audio amplifiers are bought by the pound. Mass is a vital part of the Force / Acceleration thing.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire