AIRE floor- bladder replacement - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-21-2014   #1

Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 97
AIRE floor- bladder replacement

I'm replacing the floor in a Puma. Have you? If so, did you go directly through AIRE?

Hey Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014   #2

Ashevile, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1995
Aire bladder

Yes, I had a defective bladder that Aire replaced. I just unzipped the floor, removed the relief valve and shipped it to Aire. Easy to reinstall. Dan
Raftnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
They replaced my bladder under warrantee. Free labor and shipping via an authorized dealer.

Drop boat off. Wait. Pick boat up with bladder reinstalled.

Aire stands behind their products for ten years, at least the in house stuff.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014   #4

Front Range, Colorado
I'm not even going to suggest to AIRE that this should be under warranty. The boat is old and formerly an outfitter rig. I think a baffle tore as well as it has a slow leak. I was a bit surprised the floor bladder is a fabric material. Not sure how I would repair that on the river. I've replaced a thwart bladder and expected the same material.

I got the floor out no problem with simple soapy solution in just 15 minutes. Kind of funny because the zipper was not really clean as the last trip was in the desert.
Old 01-22-2014   #5

Front Range, Colorado
Dave- Did you take it to AAA or DR?
Old 01-22-2014   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I had to replace the floor bladder with Aire on my 12 ft(under warranty), they have excellent customer service, they shipped to me and I replaced it at home , as someone mentioned it doesnt take long at all.You just have to take out the old air valve to get it out completely. Save your gas money and DIY
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Danville, California
Paddling Since: 1970
For on the river repairs, you want 2-Part Aquaseal. NOT standard urethane/pvc glue. Aquaseal takes no skill, just 45 minutes to an hour drying time, and a tiny cup to mix the two parts in. The normal one-part requires 12 to 24 hours to dry, so that is why you want the two-part.
The floor bladder material is fully coated on the inside, it just doesn't need to be on the outside. Regular pvc glue can work on the bare fabric, but it is a distant second choice.
It's an easy DIY job, but you need a little Goop (I think the type AIRE puts in the patch kits is "Goop 5000" but you can call AIRE at 1800-AIRHEAd and double check) to form a donut seal around the valve hole, between the outside of the floor bladder and the inside of the floor pocket. Clean the area on the inside of the pocket where the Goop will go with some alcohol first.
Have fun !
theBoatPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #8

Middle of, Nowhere
Paddling Since: '97
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBoatPeople View Post
For on the river repairs, you want 2-Part Aquaseal. NOT standard urethane/pvc glue. Aquaseal takes no skill, just 45 minutes to an hour drying time, and a tiny cup to mix the two parts in. The normal one-part requires 12 to 24 hours to dry, so that is why you want the two-part.
The floor bladder material is fully coated on the inside, it just doesn't need to be on the outside. Regular pvc glue can work on the bare fabric, but it is a distant second choice.
It's an easy DIY job, but you need a little Goop (I think the type AIRE puts in the patch kits is "Goop 5000" but you can call AIRE at 1800-AIRHEAd and double check) to form a donut seal around the valve hole, between the outside of the floor bladder and the inside of the floor pocket. Clean the area on the inside of the pocket where the Goop will go with some alcohol first.
Have fun !

I've wondered about that goop 5000 that comes in the aire patch kit, but fortunately have yet to need a patch on my boat.
Is the goop an all purpose adhesive that'll work for any patch on aire boats, or is it specific just for doing valve replacement (maybe just because it's brittle when dry??)
i got some staybond too cause i'm a little more used to it, even though it might not be the best on pvc...
thoughts??
bigkahunaburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Danville, California
Paddling Since: 1970
The Goop brand products are a lot like GE silicon seal, except that most of them dry faster. Goop won't ever dry brittle, it's very flexible and stretchable when cured.
As far as I could ever tell, AIRE-wise the only use for the Goop is the floor bladder re-installation (not for any other bladder on the side tubes or thwarts). It won't work as a normal repair adhesive at all.
Stabond is a very good pvc glue, so by all means keep that in the patch kit. It just won't work as a gasket bead around the floor valve hole. And it also doesn't work well on the floor bladder material for patches, even though I am sure plenty of people on the Buzz have used it for that.
For what it's worth, rips that go all the way through the gray floor pocket and through the floor bladder are extremely rare.
So, to re-iterate:
Stabond glue to repair rips in the outer shell, and/or the tube & thwart bladders.
2-Part Aquaseal for any floor bladder rips, pinhole leaks on the floor bladder, or it will also work well on AIRE's urethane tube bladders with a patch, or without a patch if you are sealing something tiny.
Goop only for the seal between the floor bladder & floor pocket main valve hole.
The biggest challenge with AIRE repairs is finding a glue that sticks well to the vinyl bladders found in the Tomcat and Sawtooth kayak side tube bladders. This is different material than all the other AIRE products. Stabond works marginally, but not well.
theBoatPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #10

Middle of, Nowhere
Paddling Since: '97
right on boatpeople. kinda what i was thinking.
i've only used 1part aquaseal before and the drying time certainly limits where/when it can be used. looks like the 2part's goin in the patch kit now!!

i have a trib tomcat ducky too. haven't had to patch the vinyl bladder yet. if it comes down to it staybond's my glue of choice. hopefully i'll never have to find out!!
thanks for the info
bigkahunaburger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire