Aire floor bladder repair? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-10-2019   #1

Craig, Colorado
Aire floor bladder repair?

I have a tributary (non-sealed floor). My floor has been losing air fast. I reseated and cleaned the valve. There were still issues. I then unzipped the floor and pulled out the bladder. Turns out there is a clear piece of rubber/plastic that is adhered to the bladder. Mine has a rip, is seperating from the bladder, and is generally disintegrating. Needless to say there is a vast amount of air that is escaping. What do I do. Can I take the old lip off and replace with a patch of PVC, the AIREcell material, or the floor AIREcell material that is in AIRE's repair kit? What is there already clearly isn't one of those kinds of materials, but I can't find it on AIRE's site.

Fishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019   #2

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Sounds like someone repaired it originally with Tear Aid?

I have an Aire cat and thought that stuff was temporary. Not sure you can fix the bladder. Might call Aire and ask...
Beer Waggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019   #3

Craig, Colorado
Definitely wasn't tear-aid (much thicker). I'm guessing it's the original lip. Looks the same as the lip under the pressure relief valve - just in much worse condition...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019   #4

Craig, Colorado
A pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57394020406__496752ED-DB96-49D8-AB0D-8ACE5EC177AC.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	33401  
Old 03-10-2019   #5

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
You can repair it but to tell you how I need to know what you feel on the inside of the bladder around the valve area. Is it another donut shaped piece of something like the plastic on the outside, or is it just the bladder material which is a coarse nylon weave.
Priceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019   #6

Craig, Colorado
It is another donut shaped piece like the plastic on the outside.
Old 03-10-2019   #7

repair

You are looking at a very touchy do it yourself repair situation with the potential to not completely fix the leak, might always leak a tiny bit. I would only attempt the repair knowing that if it doesn't work out I would have to buy a new bladder. So here is my suggestion.
1) send that picture to Aire and ask them what to do. They are quite accommodating and usually surprise you with their suggestions.
2) If they can repair it, send it to them and do that.
3) If 1 and 2 above don't work, buy a new bladder.
4) If none of the above are satisfactory solutions and you really want to try a do it yourself fix, post back to this thread and I'll provide the basic information you would need.
Old 03-10-2019   #8

Craig, Colorado
I do plan to contact AIRE tomorrow. If it comes down to replacing the bladder, I figure I'd like the experience of trying to fix it myself. I'd love to hear the basic information you can provide.
Old 03-10-2019   #9

repairs

Basic boat PVC has a coating on each side. what you need is something with a coating on only one side, and the woven fabric visible. You could try to sand off the coating on one side of the repair fabric found in the repair kit, or look around and find a piece of mid weight vinyl upholstery material with the woven fabric visible. What you will be trying to do is remove the existing broken up plastic ring with as little damage to the base fabric as possible and leaving the inner plastic ring as un-damaged as possible. Be sure the valve cup is still inside the bladder. Cut a generous piece of the vinyl at least as big as the plastic donut if not maybe 1" bigger all around. find the center of the patch and cut a tight hole for the outer valve assembly. Smear a medium coat of pure silicon adhesive on the woven side of the vinyl patch, position it perfectly on the outside of the bladder and over the existing hole in the inner ring, assemble the valve and tighten it up to create a clamping action around the valve. then use clamps or weights to put pressure on the rest of the patch. Let it dry for a day, undo the valve assembly, install the bladder, air it up and hope!
Old 03-10-2019   #10
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
If I ran into that on the river I would peel off all the shitty donut I could, apply a bead of aqua seal between the layers and reseat it. Good chance that would work for a good long while as long as it is done cleanly. May leak super slow and you'd have to top off a little in the morning but beats the hell out of every half hour.

In the shop I would "peel" off the donut and glue a new one on.

If you want to tackle it yourself and have questions you can give me a buzz and we can chat for a few instead of me typing a book. I would tell you to do it a little different than the other explanation but customers typically aren't ok with the "air it up and hope" method.

If you want me to install a new donut you are probably in the $+/-100 range depending on how much I have to fight with the old donut. I assume the bladder is in fine shape besides the donut leak?

Tags
aire