AirCap (Pressure Gauge) - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
AirCap (Pressure Gauge)

I just saw a disscussion on these from a seperate thread, but wanted to get more opinions. I feel like I have a fairly good sense of the required pressure in my tubes and floor, but... Should I be more careful with knowing exactly how much pressure I'm running? Seems like overkill to have these, but wondered what others thoughts and experiences have been. Great idea... just not sure if they are really needed.

https://www.triboutdoor.com/aircap

markfortcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Cool idea..but a solution in search of a problem that doesn't really exist.

And on the other hand, far be it for me to dissuade anyone else from buying rafting gear, says the gear slut.

If you have a raft, most self-bailing floors have a PRV...so you could just put one on a tube. Consider that while most rafts have baffles, and unless your inflation was way out of whack, you could run a single AirCap and know within ~0.5psi what the pressure is in the other 2-3 perimeter tube sections.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
If you can remember to check your gauge you can remember to feel your boat. I think these would be much more useful if they had an alarm or auto bleed when a set pressure is exceeded.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
"Just Read and Run Baby!"

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
Most folks I know inflate their boats over the recommended 2.5 - 3 psi and run them relatively "hard". The blow-off valve on your self-bailing floor is designed to go off at 2.5 psi to prevent delamination of the floor beams(regular floor not drop-stitch). If your tubes are much harder than your floor than you're over inflating. On multi-day trips I usually see people topping off their main tubes in the cool morning air, the boat is soft so they add more air to make it hard again. Unless the boat has a leak, it didn't loose any air overnight, the air molecules are just smaller. The problem, they're adding more air than they need and they'll be way above 3 psi as the day warms-up. I'll add air to my floor in the morning because it did loose air through the blow-off valve but I leave my main tubes alone.
followthebubbleline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Where's the guy who wanted to be trained as a "raft feeler"? Maybe he can teach us all the craft!
Liquido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

mead, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I bought a pressure gauge with the intent of getting really meticulous about having the perfect pressure in my raft. It doesn’t get used. If you have made it this long without one you’ll probably be fine without one. Even after that purchase I’m still a knuckle push pressure test kind of guy.
jimbridge2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Why not use a regular pressure gauge? We didn't have good luck with the NRS gauges, switched to K Pump gauges this year, and like them. Mine lives in my PFD.
BGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

I run an Leafield gauge. I like it and I was too conservative before I used it. It's likely overkill but I find people are all over the place when they estimate their pressure. But failures are rare so there must not be a problem. "Drum tight" is great and all but I'm not a drummer.

I also plug my floor PRV because fuck those things.
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote