Mountain Buzz banner

Advice from aire raft owners on sizes

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  MT4Runner 
#1 ·
Iam looking to update my raft. I have a 14ft odeyssy (Chinese pvc) its been great and it was a prize we won in a raffle so even greaterier for free. Its about 12 years old and the family has grown by one kid and one dog and the other kids bigger too. We (I) want to do some intro whitewater desert stuff soon. Maybe desolation or ladore or oregon stuff. So maybe 4-6 day stuff and still do one day and fishing weekends around bozeman. Iam looking (used) at a 136dd and a 156r. My neighbor has a 16 foot boat and its alot bigger than my 14ft. But i worry about it being a pig for day stuff? We did a 4day 3 nite this year on flat water and it was a junk show of gear and bodies. Cant buy 2 boats cause i want other stuff more. Any body have a wife two kids and two dogs on board with a recommendation. I have dry boxes and all the cool storage /frame stuff but also will i eat my nrs frame with a 15 footer? Thanks charkie

#2 ·
136DD will be too small the 156R is probably a good size to fit your stuff/crew and still be a reasonable size for smaller stuff. If you haven't already I'd suggest getting the gear together you need for a multi day and throw it on the boat you already have to get an idea of how much more space you need.

And don't eat your frame, the aluminum is really hard on teeth.

NRS does sell longer rails if you want your frame longer, you could probably cut down your old rails, add some low pros and have new cross bar(s) to add a bay.

#3 ·
Yeah i went and looked at it . Minimum frame width is 66 . Mine is 64. His frame is 67. So i could re do cross bars or maybe do a double rail deal? Then id only have to do 2 bars new across and 2 bars long for double deal and i could use cross and side boards ect? So mine are 64 and ninimum is 66 . I looked at google "double rail"and the inner is shorter than usual right? Would that work? He wants 3500 for a 2013 and its nice. Huge but nice. Decent price right?

#11 ·
Yeah i went and looked at it . Minimum frame width is 66 . Mine is 64. His frame is 67. So i could re do cross bars or maybe do a double rail deal? Then id only have to do 2 bars new across and 2 bars long for double deal and i could use cross and side boards ect? So mine are 64 and ninimum is 66 . I looked at google "double rail"and the inner is shorter than usual right? Would that work?

Yes, 64" is too narrow for the 156R, and will put your oarlocks too close together. I like your double rail idea. I have a double rail with 72" spacing on the outer rails and 56" on the inner rails. I think 64" is center-center of the 156R tubes.

He wants 3500 for a 2013 and its nice. Huge but nice. Decent price right?
Here's a 2013 for $3,200 and a 2015 for $3,800:
https://glacierraftco.com/glacier-outdoor-store/boats-sale/
I can help you with a ride for them to BZN.

But on subject a 136DD sounds too small for what you are trying to do.. I have a 156R and really like it.. It's not too sluggish on day trips which i do a lot of. Between the two that you listed and what you want to do I would go 156R over 136DD

Agree. The 156R is better for day runs than the 136DD will be loaded with kids, dogs, and gear on a multiday.

OP, can you run your Odyssey for daytrips?

#4 ·
As someone who owns and is trying to sell a 136DD... I would agree that it is too small. Maybe if it was just the wife, or just the kids or just the Dogs...but all of those together are gonna be tight.

Might be worth a look at the 160DD though. Main difference to the 156R is a bit longer, a bit more interior room but the tubes aren't as tall so it will be a wetter ride and it will feel like your gear and people are sitting on top of the raft instead of inside it.

Someone should really buy my 136DD though... its been up for sale all summer and no serious bites.

#5 ·
I just bought a new 136DD 2 weeks ago ,they are wrapping up the custom frame this week. Just me and the wife so should be a perfect setup. Most of the people selling stuff that have trouble selling it is because they put an NRS frame on it or something cheap. if you buy nicer stuff in the beginning people snap it up when you go to sell it

#12 ·
I upgraded from a 13 foot boat to a 15 footer and adapted my frame to a double rail to do so. It definitely works but it will end up heavy and overkill. double rails really aren't necessary for walkways. Sell your odyssey with the frame and start from scratch would be my suggestion having been there done that.

oh yeah, forgot I also had wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs on the 13'er which is why I went 15. I would definitely go with the 156 R over the 136DD, but if you find a 146 DD I think that could work also.... or a 16 foot trib, etc. a 14'er is just not that much bigger than the 13 and will not likely fix your cluster F$%& problem when rigging. 15 will be just right, 16'er will be fine. Going bigger doesn't make it piggier same load in a bigger boat just floats higher and is more maneuverable. Sure there will be a difference in feel on day trips from a 13 to a 16, but the extra capacity and room will more than make up for the reduced maneuverability.

#13 ·
Nice!!!! Thanks guys! The glacier raft deal looks good! Theres also a 160dd up there too for 3k. Its a 2008 with a throw away frame but its 64 inch minimum so mine would fit (i think i got that right)? Mt 4runner you coming home after a season of guiding? If your serious about a delivery p.m. me and ill get gas and a snakl payment lol? Thanks again great advice from you guys!!!

#15 ·
Mt 4runner you coming home after a season of guiding? If your serious about a delivery p.m. me and ill get gas and a snakl payment lol? Thanks again great advice from you guys!!!

I wish. I'm just a weekend warrior. I live in Kalispell, but have been working in Bozeman. I will be driving back down in a week or two.

Gas is already paid for, but you can buy beer. :)

#14 ·
My 156R is 66" center to center. Aire's wireframe diagram agrees. https://www.aire.com/amfilerating/file/download/file_id/167/ . My Cambridge welding salmon river frame is 69" wide if memory serves. I think you could go up to 72" wide without issues.

My experiences with the 156R is that is it an extremely versatile boat. I have run it with paddle crews of 4-8, 5-7 day trips with up to 3 passengers (and me), and even run it with just 2 paddlers and my stern assist frame. Works well at pretty much everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.