Mountain Buzz banner

Adding Chafer to Hypalon boat

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  NoCo 
#1 ·
Hello,

I currently have an older Udisco 14' raft and I would like to add chafing strips on top, and in high wear spots on the bottom. I have a couple of questions about this.

What is the best material to use and where can I get it?

What are the best practices when installing?

If anyone has pictures or video of completing this process I'd love to see.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Urethane is ultimately the best for abrasion resistance on the bottom of your boat. You can purchase a kit of System 6 from Man of Rubber or Rocky Mountain Adventures and roll it on. They have instructions on how to prep and apply, but you'd want to know the surface you're preparing. Note: If the bottom is worn through to the fabric threads (past the top coating), you should patch those areas first, then apply the urethane.

For the top chafers, you can use Hypalon. Stabond 2 part adhesive is what we recommend.

Here's our gluing instruction for Hypalon glue jobs. It's a pretty straight forward process overall. 1. Buff 2. Clean 3. Apply Glue 4. Compress 5. Clean-up https://hyside.com/hyside-owners-manual/#instruct

Hope this helps!

#3 ·
Nrs sells hypalon material. It's penal orca material as they call it. They have a few options of color and width. I've had good luck roughing the surfaces with a rasp and using Clinton hypalon adhesive. The problem is the material and glue are super pricey. Oh yeah you need tolulene which is basically brake parts cleaner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.