A wet towel or cooler cover? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-09-2018   #1

SEATTLE, Washington
Paddling Since: 1988
A wet towel or cooler cover?

Any ideas on best practice for cooler management durring the float?

Is it better to cover cooler with a wet towel or to cover it with a cooler cover pad?

WadeCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2018   #2

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Here in the hot southwest, we do both. I use burlap, keep it wet, then put the cooler cover over it. Don't like sitting in the wet, and it's an extra layer of cooling
edd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018   #3

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
x2 on wet burlap sack over cooler. wet burlap has great evaporative cooling effects but the burlap does dry out quick so keep it wet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2018   #4
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
I have been using burlap coffee sacks the last few years. They work, and they have a nice design and make me think of coffee. Mmmmm..... Coffee...

This year I am switching to a white cotton bath towel. Cotton also has very good evaporative and cooling properties. It should hold more water so get evaporative cooling for longer. I have this crazy idea that being white (at least when I start) will reflect more solar radiation Brown burlap has a lower albedo, so may accept more heat. Less heat meanas less evaporative cooling required.

Also that burlap slowly disintegrates and leaves brown fuzz on things.
Will Amette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018   #5

steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
We use an old heavy moving blanket- holds a ton of water and definitely helps keep it cool. Some of the cooler covers become slippery when wet so if your in a big rapid sitting on it it’s a lot easier to slide around. I didn’t care for it on a trip as the oarsmen but that was a rented boat and I don’t know if your sitting on it or if your passengers are either.
jkr61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018   #6

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
My mother took an old, quilt, light colored (with flowers!), cut it to size and stitched the corners so it fits perfectly over the cooler. Generally no one sits on the cooler so a wet butt isn't an issue.
smhoeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018   #7

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
We went to a thrift store and bought all of the white towels they had. Kept them damp by placing a canvas bucket full of water on top. Enough water seeps through the canvas to keep the towels wet. Used in addition to conventional ice management techniques, we still had ice at Diamond Creek. Western gave us more ice for the Diamond down float (thanks).
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018   #8

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
All the above really help, I do both, but they work better with a Bimini for shade
Old 06-11-2018   #9

Cascadia, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I keep a towel inside as well on top of everything. As the cooler load goes down, the towel goes down with it, so the ice isn't cooling the dead air space.
speyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018   #10

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by speyguy View Post
I keep a towel inside as well on top of everything. As the cooler load goes down, the towel goes down with it, so the ice isn't cooling the dead air space.
I do, sort of, the same. I took a foam yoga pad and cut it to fit inside the cooler. I put my ice on the bottom, place the yoga pad on top, then the food/drink. Then put a towel on top for trips lasting longer than 3 days.
LJPurvis is offline   Reply With Quote