9.5' raft? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-13-2013   #1

Cave Creek, Arizona
9.5' raft?

Are these a good fun starter boat? I know they have there limitations on people and gear they can hold, and can't really be used for long trips through the canyon. I am planning on just a starter/play boat for one day trips or short weekend trips?

Here are a few questions I have.

1. How do these small boats handle compare to the bigger ones/do they flip easier?

2. Is it posible to use it as a paddle raft with only one person? I am guessing you need at least two people, but just thought I would ask.

3. Are these small enough to role loosely and fit them in the back of an SUV, or do you still need a trailer?

4. Is it worth the money to even consider a rowing frame for such a small boat?

Also if any of you have any experience with both Aire and Aire Tributary rafts, I would like to hear how the Tributary's hold up.

Thanks,
Steven

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by InflatableSteve View Post
Are these a good fun starter boat? I know they have there limitations on people and gear they can hold, and can't really be used for long trips through the canyon. I am planning on just a starter/play boat for one day trips or short weekend trips?

Here are a few questions I have.

1. How do these small boats handle compare to the bigger ones/do they flip easier?

2. Is it posible to use it as a paddle raft with only one person? I am guessing you need at least two people, but just thought I would ask.

3. Are these small enough to role loosely and fit them in the back of an SUV, or do you still need a trailer?

4. Is it worth the money to even consider a rowing frame for such a small boat?

Also if any of you have any experience with both Aire and Aire Tributary rafts, I would like to hear how the Tributary's hold up.

Thanks,
Steven

Yes, yes, yes, and probably/depends on how you plan to use it. Just don't expect to go out for a big extended trip, but you can load up minimal gear and go have a fun weekend. These boats are as much play boats as they are anything else. They are tons of fun, but not exactly a prime example of versatility.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I got a 12 ft. Hyside earlier in the season. Put an NRS compact outfitter frame on it. I took it on a 7 day Deso trip in early May, Had a blast with it. Carried all my gear without a problem. My plan was to use this as my weekend float & fish boat this summer. Now I'm laid up with a broken leg, so that will have to wait. Not sure about the R1 idea. I would imagine you could roll a 9.5 footer and transport it in an SUV. Several folks on MB have Mini-Me, Mini-Max, and small Tributary rafts, so hopefully they will chime in with some info.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013   #4

Kernville, California
Paddling Since: 1975
We had some guides from Navtec Expeditions, in Moab, head our way to pick up some new Hysides. (they needed them for trips scheduled that weekend). We fit two 16' paddle boats and two 9 foot duckies in their Toyota Avalon. One of each in the trunk and one of each in the back seat LOL. So I would think a 9 footer would easily fit in your SUV, especially a Hypalon one.

By the way, I'd probably go the 10.5' route! Mini-Max all the way.. Just like DoStep said, the smaller boat lacks versatility. With a Mini-Max, you get the extra space to do what a 9' is limited with, but you also get the fun a 9' will offer. Guess that's why we're pretty much sold out at this point.

If you choose a 9', several people frame them out for fishing and the like...wouldn't be a prob. Lots of people use those Mini's with light weight frames where they need to fly in or backpack in.
Hyside Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I have a 13.0 Trib. Awesome daytrip/overnight raft for a family of 4.
Isn't tiny, but is definitely stowable in an SUV.

Will this mostly be a solo boat, DoStep?

IMHO, a 12' boat would be a bit more versatile than a 9.5'.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #6

Totah, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 07
People R-1 little rafts and shredders all the time. (look at my avatar, made my girlfriend S-1 about every other rapid on that trip) You might not have much of a chance in big holes already being in a small raft and having low momentum and power with just you. But class III in a mini-me is a blast to R-1. I know people who have rowed mine me's and mini Max's, I rowed my friend's mini max through gypsum and the last few rapids in cataract canyon at 7,500 and is was tons of fun. I am thinking of getting a smaller raft for playing around in but would personally prefer something at least 11 feet long, they aren't any less maneuverable but more stable and versatile.
suzannetheotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #7

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
The first words out of someone's mouth after rowing a small raft(mini-me) is wow it's like a sports car. There are a lot of small rivers,rivers with poor put ins and or take outs that small rafts
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #8

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
work really well in.
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #9

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I've owned a 9.5' trib for 3 years and it is awesome! Lots of fun, the sports car analogy fits well. Yes, they flip easier but that's half the fun. Yes you can r1 but r2 is a lot more fun and r3 is the sweet spot! Perfect for 3, still good with 4, and I've loaded up with 5 but then the boat doesn't like to self bail sitting so low in te water.... It rolls up nice and small, I bought a raft bag from nrs and I can fit the raft in the trunk of my wife's tiny little Saturn ion for crying out loud. I have had zero problems with this boat in three years - buy a trib, mini me, or max, you'll love it
fids11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #10

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Last summer I bought my first raft, a used Mini-max. I bought used because I was clueless and figured I'd start out small. Rigged it up and took it out for the first time last month. 3 days in the Gunnison Gorge and 1 day trip in the Upper Gunnison (Almont to Garlic Mike's). Upper Gunnison was running about 1200cfs when we floated.

Report: Haha. A total blast. It rows easy, we had room for 2 people (rower and front angler), and stashed a ton of camping and food supplies (small cooler under rower) in the raft for the multi-day. Ignorance had us way overloaded in the rear of the boat and looking at pictures now is funny. No balance anywhere to be found. The rear was practically submerged. Still and all, no flips, no sinking, and it handled like a champ. Can't wait to get back to CO and take it out again. My bro-in-law has a drift boat which I rowed 2 years ago and this blows it away.

Already thinking about a bigger rig 13-14" that can handle 2 anglers and rower. Maybe next season.
Trout Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote