88' NRS Otter, hypalon or not? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-27-2017   #1

Vanderwagen, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
88' NRS Otter, hypalon or not?

Just picked up this 13' boat and was wondering if someone can tell me what material was used to make this boat. I want to make sure I order the right D-rings and glue.

Mtnbuzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2017   #2

., .
If it's an actual Otter then it's hypalon. I also suggest getting the serial number of your raft and just calling NRS customer service to be certain.

Cheers!
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Should be Hypalon. Use Stabond for glue and you can stick anything to anything as long as its prepped correctly.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017   #4

Blue River, Colorado
I've got a question about the Otter's. My first was a PVC RMR - tough, but heavy. I've been wanting a hypalon (CSM) boat. I recently picked up an Otter. It was a good deal on a 14'er. It's my 2nd rig. I jumped on it since the deal seemed reasonable. But I really was watching for a Hyside.

Reading old threads on the Buzz, there's a lot of love for the older (pre 2000?) Avon's. The hypalon was double denier like the Hysides - which I believe means there is CSM inside and outside of the base fabric. Those boats were calendered which means they were rolled to integrate the fabric and coating.

Anyway, the Otter has polyester as the base fabric. From my research, the polyester is not as durable or stretchy as nylon. It seems that nylon can deteriorate when subjected to moisture, but with double sided coating of CSM that seems unlikely. The Otter's also have 1100 D fabric.

I have read that NRS' quality of construction is great. But most Buzz threads raving about NRS are talking about the E series. I'm wondering what opinions some of the Otter owner's have regarding durability. My RMR was tough which was great for a first boat b/c I was running into a lot of obstacles on the river. I have improved at navigating, but I would be bummed if this new boat rips on the first hard impact. I know friends who have mid 90's Hysides. Not sure if those were all 2520 D, or 1680? But with stronger denier and stronger base fabric, I wonder if the Otter is in the same class.

Thoughts?
cdcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017   #5

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
I have a 1988 NRS Sprite 3 13.5'. I called NRS and they were pretty clueless about the boat specs from that age and the serial #.
It is Hypalon. It is slowly delaminating in spots along the sides, but nothing catastrophic yet. It rolls well and for a damn near 30yr old boat it has held up quite well. The price was right at FREE....
wack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017   #6

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcfly View Post
I've got a question about the Otter's.

I have read that NRS' quality of construction is great. But most Buzz threads raving about NRS are talking about the E series. I'm wondering what opinions some of the Otter owner's have regarding durability. My RMR was tough which was great for a first boat b/c I was running into a lot of obstacles on the river. I have improved at navigating, but I would be bummed if this new boat rips on the first hard impact. I know friends who have mid 90's Hysides. Not sure if those were all 2520 D, or 1680? But with stronger denier and stronger base fabric, I wonder if the Otter is in the same class.

Thoughts?
I've read the same stuff and the NRS E series are great boats. Buddy of mine has a 20+ year old 14' er that is still going strong with easily 400 to 500 river days on it. Not one patch or leak, Granted he and his wife are great boaters and take decent care of their gear. This person taught me how to row so naturally I thought NRS was the way to go since this guy bought one.
Fast forward 10 years and two bucket boats later I was finally in the market for a self Bailing. Ended up buying 15' Otter about 10 years ago. It's a bit of a pig but it's been a good solid boat. I've run multiple lower water (under 2 feet) MFS trips from Boundary, lots of low water Rogue and slammed a wall or two in Mule Creek. Other than a few superficial abrasions the Otter has held up quite well to my boating abuse.

In hindsight I am not sure if I would have bought an NRS instead of say a Sotar (pvc) or Hysides knowing what I know now. But my NRS Otter has never disappointed me with its quality and craftsmanship.

I am not in a position to compare NRS to Hysides from a durability standpoint. No one I currently boat with owns a Hyside, but I sure see a lot of them still on the river.
Soup76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017   #7

Blue River, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup76 View Post

In hindsight I am not sure if I would have bought an NRS instead of say a Sotar (pvc) or Hysides knowing what I know now. But my NRS Otter has never disappointed me with its quality and craftsmanship.

I am not in a position to compare NRS to Hysides from a durability standpoint. No one I currently boat with owns a Hyside, but I sure see a lot of them still on the river.
What do you mean by "knowing what you know now"? Thx
Old 05-10-2017   #8

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcfly View Post
What do you mean by "knowing what you know now"? Thx
Sorry that part was pretty ambigious. When I bought the Otter I didn't have a boating road map. I was buying a boat to carry gear on large multi-day trips. The majority of my river days each year since have actually been mostly day trips. My circumstances changed after I bought the boat, but I bought the the boat thinking I might run the GC one day. In hindsight I wish I would have bought a shorter boat and maybe could have afforded a heavier Hyside or Sotar. That's all.

Like I said. My Otter has been great. My only buyers remorse is the size........so I bought a 13' cat this year.
Soup76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017   #9

Blue River, Colorado
Thanks for the clarification. Similar situation hwre. I could buy a 13' Hyside for about ge same price as the 14 Otter. But there seems to be so much more room in that additional foot.