8' oars - are yours counter balanced? - Mountain Buzz

View Poll Results: Counter Balance 8' oars?
Yes 6 27.27%
No 16 72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2019   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
8' oars - are yours counter balanced?

For those of you who are rowing whitewater with smaller oars 8' or so, are your oars counter balanced?

Looking to get a pair for my minimax, not sure if it would be as necessary as with a 10' oar.

p.naught is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019   #2

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
I don't run my 8 foot Cataracts counterbalanced on my Mini Max and have no complaints...other than occasionally wishing for 8.5s
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019   #3

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
I run non-counter balanced 8’ cataracts on my Aire Super Puma and 13’ Momentum. No complaints. My frame is a little wider than typical. I am thinking 65” at the horns, but I might be off.

I had a mini -max with a 48” frame (maybe 54-56” at the locks). I used 6’9” cataract minimags (cut down from stock). This was perfect

Counter balanced oars may be more prone to sink
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019   #4

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Here is a photo with the 6’9” minimags

https://scontent.fbed1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...54&oe=5CB310A8
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019   #5

Golden, Colorado
Counterbalanced oars are for sissies.

It is, however, a fantastic way to reshape someone’s skull if that oar ever really connects to the river in the right way.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
If Mr Griz thinks running 8 ft oars with cataract weights are for sissies,

Then I fit his description.

I have a JPW Cutthroat mini cat and it is pretty narrow. Started with a pair of 8 ft cataracts I had left over from my Super Puma days. The 8 footers worked well but on a whim I put a pair of weights on my oars and their magic made my oars feel really good. At 79 years of fun boating time, anything I can do to make rowing or paddling easier on my broken up, metal infused body - I am gonna do it.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019   #7

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
i run a 9'6" saturn (i know....everyone can shut up. i'll put the saturn up against anything any time) and it seems silly the amount of weight i have to add to the oars to counterbalance them. I run creeks with 7' oars and everything else with 8'ers. I borrowed a pair of 8' counterbalanced oars once and they were so heavy..... I have the little boat to keep it light and movable and it was a lot of extra weight. It made the difference between me lifting the whole package on top of my van to just a little to heavy to comfortably throw it all up there.

That said I loves me some counter balanced oars so if you don't mind hauling a few extra pounds why not
flite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019   #8

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
I don't have weights on or in my 8' Cataracts. NRS 48" frame, 8" towers. I've got a 54" frame I intend to use them on too but haven't tried it yet.

Of course I don't think they are necessary on 10'ers either. Only on long days of flatwater do I think they are worth it. Mostly I think your oars aren't balanced right to your frame and body if you need weights. Or you're 79 or fighting tendonitis and then do whatever you need to keep yourself on the water.

I've seen really expensive oars just sink and disappear because of that weight; and I've salvaged perfectly good oars from the bottom of the river at low water, pryed off the cast iron slug, and put them into service....
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019   #9

Golden, Colorado
Yeah, I think 79 year olds get a pass. And fuck me running, hope I’m still rowing if I hit that age. Cheers, dude.

Now 78 or less folks, you’re still a sissy.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Mac View Post
I don't run my 8 foot Cataracts counterbalanced on my Mini Max and have no complaints...other than occasionally wishing for 8.5s
when do you want 8.5' oars? seems kind of long for such a small boat. maybe for big water? I would think a lot of colorado boating (or on the ark) is kinda technical and tight to want the extra length.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
p.naught is offline   Reply With Quote