8' oars - are yours counter balanced? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

View Poll Results: Counter Balance 8' oars?
Yes 6 27.27%
No 16 72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2019   #21

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You got me curious. Just weighed one on my brewing scale. 2.33 lbs. That's a wide. Narrow ones probably slightly lighter.

jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2019   #22

Bayfield, Colorado
Just weighed a standard foam bodied cataract blade. 3.53 lbs. They do have the rubber tip guard which has to add a bit.
Old 02-12-2019   #23

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthomas View Post
You got me curious. Just weighed one on my brewing scale. 2.33 lbs. That's a wide. Narrow ones probably slightly lighter.
Weird... The specs on nrs are WAY off then.

Thanks for checking.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019   #24

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
T.O.Mac That sounds pretty similar to what I will be doing. Want to row numbers though. Might be better to stick with 8's for that. Also, the towers wont be as far apart. Thanks for the picture. Nice to check out someone elses setup.

jamesthomas, I have thought about going with the lighter blade and no CB. I imagine this boat will spend a fair amount of time upside down and I don't want to lose a weighted oar. A leash should prevent that but having it float would provide extra insurance. I was thinking about doing the lam fir blades. Not as light as the Dynelites, but still better than cataracts. A friend did recommend square tops, since they float, but I am not sure those are in the current budget.
p.naught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019   #25

Bayfield, Colorado
Yeah, the square tops give me a woodie as well except for one thing, well 2 things, the price and if you fuck up a blade, its over. I have not rowed a set but have touched them in a shop. The dynalite blades do float at least my cataracts float with them on there. I would think that if you sent a square top back to sawyer they could stick a new blade on it but have never heard anything anywhere about that. ( Hey Sawyer guy, is that possible?) Dynalites are tough though as I have smacked my share of rocks with mine without issue. I couldn't find a picture of a lam fir blades from the side. As long as the durability is still there the thinner the blade the better IMHO.
Old 02-13-2019   #26

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
If you fuck up a square top, look me up. Pretty sure I could fix it.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019   #27

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Hell no. But I donít like CB oars in general. If you canít get your oar out of the water on your own, you need to go to the gym.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019   #28

Bayfield, Colorado
Spider you still liking the prolocks?
Old 02-15-2019   #29

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthomas View Post
Spider you still liking the prolocks?
Yep. I prefer the old full capture models though. I had Dan make me some more. I send the new style out on most builds. Canít imagine rowing anything else. Even carvedog made the switch.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019   #30
Mark

Salt LAke City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
conterbalance is good, so are good oarlocks

I use counterbalance on all oars > 9'. I'm not 78, but I am 60 and I want to be oaring at 78!! been doing it for 39 years on all kinds of boats. At some point it seems like tennis (or oarsman) elbow will hit you and counterbalance and oar rights help with that. You have to keep from aggravating it so it will heal. Young guys always have the strongest opinions

Anyways. This guy makes amazing oar locks for all sizes of frame tubes.
Raft frame, Cataraft, Cataraft frame, Rowframe, and Whitewater Equipment

The nice thing is that they extend past the midline of the frame and give you an extra 8" of leverage on the balance point. This works pretty well if you are running a lighter oar on the shorter boat. They can extend past the boat if you have a wide frame, which can hit in tight slots--I have had it happen. An 8 foot oar can be as bad as swinging an 11 foot oar if it isn't balanced properly. And it is more strokes per hour!!

Sinking counter-balanced oars is a problem. I get the foam tubes (looks like kids pool weenies) with the large size center. Put 2-3 feet of these on oars on the side upstream of the oarlock and wrap with electricians tape. Works great, floats the oar, and is a good cushion if it hits you and when resting below knees.

I like the Cataraft oars (seem lighter), but Sawyers are good too. Good luck.
Waterdogmm is offline   Reply With Quote