7x12 aluminum trailer - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-05-2015   #1

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
7x12 aluminum trailer

Good morning,

I need to buy a Raft trailer/atv trailer today. I need to get my Polaris ranger back to Montana from Boise. A trailer dealer has an aluminum 7x12 Raft trailer with 3500 pound axle for $2260 and and a c&b 8.5'x12' for $1595.

I want the aluminum trailer, but I will need to mount a motorcycle carrier on tongue by spring. Is that easily and cheaply done? Also, I don't want an 8.5 foot trailer so the steel one won't work anyway.

Or if anyone knows where I can pick up a Raft trailer up in Boise today or tomorrow that is a deckover with 3500# axle please let me know. I have a diesel and 3/4 ton truck so weight of trailer isn't really an issue.

Basically I need to know if I can cheaply and easily weld or fasten a durable way to haul a Yamaha tw 200 on the tongue of an aluminum trailer.

Thanks.
https://boise.craigslist.org/sgd/5341565363.html

Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2015   #2

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Mattchu I have an aluminum trailer that I mounted a dirt bike carrier on. If the tongue is made from a nice piece of box material it will be easy.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015   #3

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Looks like a nice trailer. With that particular tongue setup,it looks like it would be pretty easy. Look me up if you need a hand. I'm in billings and I get up to Absarokee pretty often. Todd 690-4440
mttodd is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2015   #4

Rivertown, West Virginia
Just looked at the picture after my reply. That would be simple. I was thinking about a single box tongue. Bot with a V tongue, you could just bolt through one of those dirt bike/ scooter haulers
Old 12-05-2015   #5

Rivertown, West Virginia
That is a good deal on that alum trailer also. The axle is back far enough were you can let a heavily loaded raft hang back a little farther than normal
Old 12-05-2015   #6

Nye, Montana
Sweet thanks guys. It should haul a 1550 pound ranger fine I'd think. How about a 1995 geo tracker? It's 2000 pounds trailer is 600. I'm think probably not but have to get it from Oregon to Montana by spring.
Old 12-05-2015   #7

Rivertown, West Virginia
Oh and you could built some side board that would double as ramps for the ranger since the deck is 27" high
Old 12-05-2015   #8

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I have the same trailer, only a 14' deck. I had a TW200 for a shuttle rig and it fit sideways on the front of the deck, with the tires in between the front decking ribs. I used a simple plywood ramp and loaded it from the side. You may consider a layer of 1/2" ply on the decking for carrying something like a Geo. The decking is NOT that strong for a trailer with 3500# axle.
idah2ojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015   #9

Nye, Montana
Thanks for advice. Great trailer. Looks easy to get mount for motorcycle. Will look you up MTtodd.

Thanks again,
Matt
Old 12-05-2015   #10
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
Keep in mind on trailers most trailer companies build trailers to make money, this usually leads to skimping where ever possible. Just because a trailer has a 3500lb axle doesn't mean the trailer is rated for 3500lbs.

I realize you need the trailer immediately but most people who throw a raft trailer in there lineup don't really think them through too well because they never use them in the real world they just build for profit. I see a couple major flaws to that design for being a good raft trailer, it is probably equally as poor as a cargo trailer so just be aware that it may not do either really that great depending on how you use it.

The red flag should pop as soon as you see 3500lb axle. That tells me they are going cheap with that sprung axle and they have no idea how to match an axle to an aluminum trailer. That thing is going to ride like hell towing rafts and bounce all over , you will have to air down to control it. The underside construction tells the tale. Box tube doesn't mean much because they usually down size the wall thicknes to save money because they bumped to box so it looks stronger and better built all the while giving you nothing more and costing no more to produce. Sealed bearings on the axles? Thin walled tubing along with poor design and wrong temperature welds can make aluminum crack and run like a bitch. Thats what gives aluminum a bad name is people who don't know how to properly fab it.

When you see things that are substandard you can guarantee they are also in places you can't see, check construction out really well and find out the wall thickness and if the tounge actually is tied into the frame correctly. I wouldn't put a sidekick on that trailer I guarantee it isn't braced for it and it probably has cheap low rated tires on that trailer from the factory.

Terrible cargo trailer but you won't find a better raft exclusive trailer anywhere.
I know not everyone can have multiple trailers though do your homework
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	10739
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote