3-bay frame on 10'6" Mini-Max? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-30-2015   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
3-bay frame on 10'6" Mini-Max?

I have an extra 10'6" self-bailing Hyside that we have been giving to newbies to take down the river with us the last few years on overnight booze cruises but now would like to take newbies on more challenging runs like Ladore and Deso while I row my gear boat. I am considering having a frame built for it so that instead of handing a pair of newbies paddles and watching them spin everywhere they can just trade off learning to row and I can more efficiently get more gear down the river. I spoke to one shop and they said that with a frame you can't have a passenger because you will be hitting them in the back. I called another shop and they said not only can you still have a passenger, you can do a 3-bay frame. This latter option would be great because I already own a 50 quart Yeti (24" side to side and approximately 16.5" wide front to back at the point it would be riding in the bay but a little tall at 18") and a Frontier Play drybox that is 24" side to side x 12" front to back x 16" high. I was told that with rounded corners one shop usually always does a 54" long frame.

Does anyone have experience with a passenger on either a 2 or 3 bay frame on a Mini-Max?

If I can pull off a 3-bay would you put the drybox under the oarsman and cooler up front or vice-versa? I have a Yeti 75 under a flip seat on my other boat, a 13'6" down river, and despite the 18" height it works pretty well. The reason I mention it is perhaps sitting above the 18" cooler instead of the 16" drybox will allow for more bend in the knees and hence allow for a taller person to row it? Another concern is if the oarsman would hit their knuckles on the cooler if it is in front? And a final concern is where the towers end up front to back since the drybox needs 12" versus 16.5" for the cooler. Any ideas are much appreciated! Thanks.

luciphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Hi

Mini max owner here .....NO experience with an oar rig on boat !

My ignorant oar time thoughts

1 contact river works in sailda ...I have a strong memory of them running ads for mini maxs with frames.

2 these are not gear boats..,2 folks + frame + big cooler + dry box...,,not sure but seems like a lot of weight for the boat .

Scott
shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015   #3

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
Look at Hyside's web site under tips and trips
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015   #4

looking for water, right here
Paddling Since: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by luciphil View Post
I have an extra 10'6" self-bailing Hyside that we have been giving to newbies to take down the river with us the last few years on overnight booze cruises but now would like to take newbies on more challenging runs like Ladore and Deso while I row my gear boat. I am considering having a frame built for it so that instead of handing a pair of newbies paddles and watching them spin everywhere they can just trade off learning to row and I can more efficiently get more gear down the river. I spoke to one shop and they said that with a frame you can't have a passenger because you will be hitting them in the back. I called another shop and they said not only can you still have a passenger, you can do a 3-bay frame. This latter option would be great because I already own a 50 quart Yeti (24" side to side and approximately 16.5" wide front to back at the point it would be riding in the bay but a little tall at 18") and a Frontier Play drybox that is 24" side to side x 12" front to back x 16" high. I was told that with rounded corners one shop usually always does a 54" long frame.

Does anyone have experience with a passenger on either a 2 or 3 bay frame on a Mini-Max?

If I can pull off a 3-bay would you put the drybox under the oarsman and cooler up front or vice-versa? I have a Yeti 75 under a flip seat on my other boat, a 13'6" down river, and despite the 18" height it works pretty well. The reason I mention it is perhaps sitting above the 18" cooler instead of the 16" drybox will allow for more bend in the knees and hence allow for a taller person to row it? Another concern is if the oarsman would hit their knuckles on the cooler if it is in front? And a final concern is where the towers end up front to back since the drybox needs 12" versus 16.5" for the cooler. Any ideas are much appreciated! Thanks.
Talk to Kevin or Kurt at Riverboat works 719 539 9323
MSMK is offline   Reply With Quote