2013 Saturn 15'6" Cataraft Tubes? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-20-2013   #1

Boise, Idaho
2013 Saturn 15'6" Cataraft Tubes?

Hi Ya'll,
So I recently moved to Boise and looking to git into a Cataraft for the Southfork of the Boise and similar floats mainly for fly fishing single and multi day trips. Have read a ton on materials, glued vs welded, AIRE, RMR, HySide, NRS, AVON, Hypalon vs PVC, Bladder/no Bladder, 1.21 gigawatts of power, ect ect ect. You git my point. There are sooooo many opinions, sales sshpeals on everything so thot I would git some more info on what yall thot.

Soooo ive been looking at Saturn Catarafts and the 15'6" tubes

Cost: Tubes are going for these Saturns at about $899. Lets look at the AIRE Jaguarundi which would be similar 24" tubes but at the high end quality if I was to go that route. These run in a range roughly at $2500 bucks.

Use: Im mainly running flyfishing trips so no real beating the raft up in Class 4 or 5z.

My thing is mainly price. So lets say I go with the Saturn and end up with a irreparable tube. So I replace with another set at $899. Im still under the cost of the AIRE Jaguarundi right?....and now I have extra tube. I could really get a total of 3 sets of Saturn tubes roughly for the price of 1 set of the AIRE tubes.

Mercedes vs Hyundai?? You are rolling down the road with both.

Would like to hear yalls thots and assistance on this decision and from anyone who owns a Saturn Cataraft.
Thanks
RC

robcurtis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Here we go again...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #3

overcrowdedskitown, Colorado
riverboatworks.com is having a sale if you want to get on the inexpensive road get RMR. I have rowed one, owned one, and have some friends with them nice for the money. Or do what you want with the Saturn road. Just dont mention on here ever again because everyone is just gonna have a bash session.
Iraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013   #4

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
IMHO RMR = POS! We saw a trip going through Cramer a couple of weeks ago and noticed one raft carrying a single RMR cat tube.

Later that day, while the wife and I were rigging at Corn Creek for our one-boat/two dog main trip, the group pulled in (some were taking out from their MF trip and the rest were continuing on the main a few days later).

They said the RMR cat was brand new (sales guy told them it was the last boat theyd ever buy). Hit a rock in Powerhouse the first day of the trip and the tube failed! Had to derigg and pack the POS out.

RMR and Saturn prove that you get what you pay for. Both products are unsuitable for serious water. You are putting a group at risk by bringing one of these on a trip! Save your money and find a quality used boat.
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #5
swimming

Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by funrivers View Post
IMHO RMR = POS! We saw a trip going through Cramer a couple of weeks ago and noticed one raft carrying a single RMR cat tube.

Later that day, while the wife and I were rigging at Corn Creek for our one-boat/two dog main trip, the group pulled in (some were taking out from their MF trip and the rest were continuing on the main a few days later).

They said the RMR cat was brand new (sales guy told them it was the last boat theyd ever buy). Hit a rock in Powerhouse the first day of the trip and the tube failed! Had to derigg and pack the POS out.

RMR and Saturn prove that you get what you pay for. Both products are unsuitable for serious water. You are putting a group at risk by bringing one of these on a trip! Save your money and find a quality used boat.
The RMR cat tubes are starting to show their true chinese colors, They have been having nose cone issues and starting to leak. I spoke with a repair guy about them and he won't touch them.Even though they are heat welded the way the cones are attached are the same ol situation.Dealers love them because of the 40% margin, you pay 1000.00 for a 225.00 set of imported tubes is it really that good of deal? It is just a 225.00 boat you over paid for.

I always thought the rafts looked like a jacks plastic copy almost.
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #6

San Juan Islands, Washington
I think if your buying your fly fishing gear form Walmart you'll be happy with a Saturn boat, If you buy better quality stuff and keep it for years you may want to look at a better quality boat. You get what you pay for.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I'd say it's about your budget and your comfort level with risk. If Saturn cat tubes are all you truly can afford, then that's what you can buy to get on the river. Just know that you're taking a boat on the river that's sold at Costco, and might not hold up in the long run. Yes, you can buy 3 of them to equal the cost of a top quality craft, but there are greater odds that the bargain brand might leave you stranded on a river somewhere. It doesn't take class III-IV to damage a boat. A lot of damage actually occurs in transport to the river & overinflation. I realize that you'll also be spending money on a frame, oars, straps, pumps, safety & repair equipment, etc. and this can add up to lots of $$$$. The tubes are the heart of the system though, so don't skimp if you can, and if you can't, take the best care of them that you can. With proper care, maybe you'll get a fair amount of mileage out of the bargain tubes ???? Good luck & happy floating.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #8

Boise, Idaho
Hi Yall,
Just a heads up to some. Im looking for your recommendations that will assist me in this decision process. If you wouldnt buy a Saturn, then just simply say something similar to "These rafts are in the same price range and would probably look at _______ or _______ and are a bit more money but better quality." Then just simply tell me why you would go that route so I and others learn from you. So if you have a recommendation or direction you might think would be helpful, for myself or others who might be in the same boat trying to decide on a good quality budget raft, then please share your knowledge in order to help all of us make a better decision. Im learning just as yall did in your early years.
Thanks a bunch for your assistance.
Cheers for now
RC
Old 07-21-2013   #9

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
I'd say it's about your budget and your comfort level with risk. If Saturn cat tubes are all you truly can afford, then that's what you can buy to get on the river. Just know that you're taking a boat on the river that's sold at Costco, and might not hold up in the long run. Yes, you can buy 3 of them to equal the cost of a top quality craft, but there are greater odds that the bargain brand might leave you stranded on a river somewhere. It doesn't take class III-IV to damage a boat. A lot of damage actually occurs in transport to the river & overinflation. I realize that you'll also be spending money on a frame, oars, straps, pumps, safety & repair equipment, etc. and this can add up to lots of $$$$. The tubes are the heart of the system though, so don't skimp if you can, and if you can't, take the best care of them that you can. With proper care, maybe you'll get a fair amount of mileage out of the bargain tubes ???? Good luck & happy floating.
Nicely put cataraftgirl. Mucho Thanks
Old 07-21-2013   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcurtis2 View Post
Nicely put cataraftgirl. Mucho Thanks
You are very welcome. Look around for some high quality used tubes, or maybe an entire set-up. Check your local craigslist, MB or NRS gear swap. Check with Aire & Maravia in Boise for used, demo, or factory seconds tubes. If you're just into fishing, take a look at the Outcast line of cats.

If Saturn is all your budget will buy, then go for it. Take good care of the tubes. Don't overinflate them. Try not to kill them, and they might last you a few seasons. Mainly, just get on the river and have fun.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataraft