2012 NRS Expedition E-160 value - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-20-2015   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
2012 NRS Expedition E-160 value

After about a year of research, much of it at MountainBUzz, I am ready to pull a trigger on a "new to me" raft. I recently rented the aforementioned boat for a multi-day trip down the Snake River-Hell's Canyon section. Upon return, I mentioned I would consider buying the raft/package. The opportunity came faster then I thought and now I find myself scrambling to make it work. I am almost certain this raft is the right one for me as I have already figured in the length, material, storage, rafting style, handling, etc.

While I understand that price is subjective and very difficult to determine without seeing the raft, I am looking for a range to be in. This particular raft has been rented for 4 years. It is in good shape-no repairs, held air for our 5 day trip without any topping off. A few scuff marks on the bottom is all that I have been able to come up with.

Any advice or potential pit falls would be greatly appreciated to this noob. I already have 2 rentals ($500/rental) invested into this boat. The time for purchase has come.

Thanks.

johnthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2015   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
If they don't take off most of the 1k you have already spent that is crap.

Also if they charge you any more than 70% of full retail that is crap. I would be shocked if they paid more than 75% of retail for it new and they have probably already rented it enough to fully pay it off.

With that said I would say 50% would be an awesome deal - but I wouldn't expect them to go that low. 70% would be acceptable.
cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #3

NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
Personally, I would run away to the nearest AIRE boat for sale. If you must have it, be sure to check the baffles before you buy.
heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2015   #4

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
A new one retails for about 6G now. They probably paid 4500ish for it with their commercial pricing. Maybe a bit less if they bought 5 or more... As a commercial boat, NRS gives a 5 year warranty, of which 4 are now gone. I'm not sure if they honor warranties to second owners? Some one may chime in on that. If the condition really is excellent, 3G or maybe 3.5G... any more than that and why not just save up one more winter and buy a new boat with a 10 year warranty? It's already late august. just my 2 cents
Fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzie View Post
A new one retails for about 6G now. They probably paid 4500ish for it with their commercial pricing. Maybe a bit less if they bought 5 or more... As a commercial boat, NRS gives a 5 year warranty, of which 4 are now gone. I'm not sure if they honor warranties to second owners? Some one may chime in on that. If the condition really is excellent, 3G or maybe 3.5G... any more than that and why not just save up one more winter and buy a new boat with a 10 year warranty? It's already late august. just my 2 cents
I agree with Fuzzie......3000 to 3500 would be the most I would pay.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015   #6

Boise, Idaho
The quote is in: $3500 with $ 250 credit for the rental fees. $ 3250
Old 08-22-2015   #7

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Not bad. Couldn't hurt to ask them to sweeten the deal a bit with some heavily discounted accessories since your 2 rentals + purchase alone covers their investment into the boat. The warranty thing is a concern certainly worth asking about.

It sucks that these places don't sell for cheaper after they have already made money off a boat and used up the warranty. On the flip side it is 55% of retail on a bomber top of the line boat that is only 4 years old.

Go with your gut and know that your alternative in that price range is a new Trib or RMR, or something that is used. You may be able to find a better package deal including frame/accessories on a private rig that has seen less abuse, but you also may not.
cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015   #8

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthom View Post
The quote is in: $3500 with $ 250 credit for the rental fees. $ 3250
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me for a young hypalon boat with no patches.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015   #9

Boise, Idaho
Deal Sweetener: $500
Cambridge-Salmon River Raft Frame w/ seat
3 oars (complete)
Cambridge Dry box
Cooler-Coleman

I agree that it would be nice to get a better deal yet it is unbelievable how much value these boats retain. I guess that works in our favor as well. We all sell in the same market. The seller has been great to work with. In fact, I am convinced that they could easily sell this boat for more to the next guy in line. In regard to the remaining 1 year of warranty, NRS will honor the warranty with a bill of sale.

Thanks for all of the assistance thus far. It has been helpful. I like to have buyers remorse prior to buying.
Old 08-23-2015   #10

Post Falls, Idaho
Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote