20/30mm rocketboxes- actual dimensions??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-05-2016   #1

Middle of, Nowhere
Paddling Since: '97
20/30mm rocketboxes- actual dimensions???

So I'm in the process of rigging out my boat. I'm trying to figure out frame bay sizes based on dimensions of rocket boxes.
Unfortunately the dimensions I'm finding on various online surplus stores are widely varied.
I guess some people are measuring the footprint, even tho the lid is bigger, and the handles both on the ends and top add a little bit too...
And there's not a surplus store in 100 miles from me that has any in stock for me to go and measure.

-From the best I can gather, both sizes require a bay opening of approx. 19 inches??(based on DRE making flip seats for 19.5 inch bays")
So maybe even 18.5in?? But don't the end handles take up a little space, even when folded down??
-Height at approx. 14 inches?? With the top handle maybe 14.5-15??
I'm gonna try to get a custom dry box made, and I want to have these 2 dimensions match the rocketboxes perfectly, making a good fit in the bay, and a level space on top to lash down a table....

-What about width, is that the only dimension that's different between 20mm and 30mm?? Somewhere around 8inch or so, vs. 9-10inch??

I'm hoping someone out there has truly accurate measurements of 20mm and hopefully 30mm boxes!
Thanks in advance for any and all advise!!!

bigkahunaburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2016   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I have some 30mm boxes in my truck and I'll try and get measurements for you later today if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
bay sizes for rocket boxes

At RBW, we make the bays 19" for rocket boxes. The 20's and 30's are the same length. 20mm is 8.5" wide at the lid, and the 30 is 1" wider..

Hope that helps.

Old 12-05-2016   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
ok...I have exact dimensions of the 30mm box. I don't have any 20mm boxes, so you'll have to get those from someone else.

I'll say that the part of the box the lid sits into is the largest part of the box. The handles don't extend out any further while in storage position. I actually found that, at least on my boxes, the bottom of the box is a bit wider then the corners.

Dimensions are the following:

14.5" Tall

Top of Box (maximum dimensions)

18 11/16" long x 9.5" wide

Bottom of box (corner)

17 3/8" long x 8 3/4" wide

Bottom of Box (center)

17 5/8" long x 8 7/8" wide

I hope that helps you. From experience, I'd say make whatever you are making to fit these with a bit of wiggle room.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016   #5

Middle of, Nowhere
Right on, I appreciate the input guys!

Those are almost the exact dimensions that Tuff River Stuff quotes on their website.
Kinda dumb that some surplus places would be off by up to 2"....

Gotta love the buzz!!! Thanks!!!!!
Old 12-05-2016   #6

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post

I hope that helps you. From experience, I'd say make whatever you are making to fit these with a bit of wiggle room.
I would agree. I have my bay at 20.5" so I can pull out the can straight up without scrapping my fingers.
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016   #7

Middle of, Nowhere
Hmmm, So both DRE and AAA list a flip up seat for a 19.5inch bay.
Probably specific for putting over rocketboxes, and still have space for the seat's attachment points to the frame...

Do you think that extra .5-.75 inch is enough to wiggle a box out, or is necessary to bump up to 20.5???

RBW, what size do you guys usually make your flip seats for a rocketbox bay??
Old 12-05-2016   #8

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
[QUOTE=bigkahunaburger;457265
Do you think that extra .5-.75 inch is enough to wiggle a box out, or is necessary to bump up to 20.5??
[/QUOTE]

You can get it out, I just got tired of it. I had the room for the extra inch so I took it. Very glad I did.
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016   #9

Central Point, Oregon
I would recommend welding a folding handle to the top of the box lid to avoid the knuckle busting and making it easy to load and unload.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater Worthy Equip View Post
I would recommend welding a folding handle to the top of the box lid to avoid the knuckle busting and making it easy to load and unload.
Or if your not a welder like me you can just run an old cam strap around the entire box through the side handles which can be loosened or tightened to used a handle or sling for carrying. You then just loosen it up a little bit and push it off to the side and the tops comes right off, and then it makes putting it back on very easy also.
mkashzg is online now   Reply With Quote