14ft Raft Rigging Questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-30-2013   #1

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
14ft Raft Rigging Questions

Hello. I've been lurking here for a few years but have never posted until now. I have to say that the Buzz has been awesome for tips and advice when it comes to putting together and rigging a raft!

I recently sold my old 14' bucket boat so it's time to upgrade. I bought a 14' NRS E-140 and so far I love it. I decided on a 14 ft because I do lots of day trips with both an oar frame and as a paddle raft on small Oregon rivers, but also am able to do multi day trips from it. A 14 ft works fine for Rogue, Deschutes, and MF Salmon trips of 3-6 days. However if it wasn't for day tripping on some low volume rivers I would probably have gone for a 15-16 footer. 14' is just a good size boat for rivers in this area in my humble opinion.

But now it's time to set up my frame and need some advice. I'm going with a 4 bay frame for max gear storage. The frame will be a single rail 82 L x 66 W with all NRS pipe and LoPro fittings. I already have 9' oars. Here come the questions.

In the front I want to run a drop bag covered by this table: NPS 18x60 Plastic Seminar Folding Table
The front bay will be 15"ish so the cross bars are flush front to back with the table sides (table sitting completely on the cross bars). I have read here of people using tables like this for hatch covers with a paco on top. But are they sturdy enough for standing, and for a couple passengers to sit on without the paco?

Second bay will be a 120-150qt cooler. My ideas is to use the NRS footbar as a foot bar AND as a cross bar to hold in the cooler. I may redrill it to rotate the footbar up (toward the rower) for foot clearance. Questions are, can I leave the NRS footbar stock and vertical, and be up against the cooler and still get a good foot hold? If I need to rotate it up, with the drop in the contour of the footbar will the hanger straps for the cooler stay in place and not drop into the low spot of the foot area?

Third bay will be the rowers compartment. I would love captains boxes/ammo cans for this space but I plan to leave this area open. For family floats I could see hard boxes in this area. But for anything much more then class II, I like the idea leaving the rower's bay free. More area to move around and much easier to pull a swimmer back in without having boxes and hard stuff in the way. I'll probably run a personal drybag and other soft things in this area. Just a preference.

Last bay will be a drybox that I will sit on. I am looking at a Frontier Play box and can either get a 16" tall regular drybox or an 18" tall kitchen box for not much more. I don't have the cash to drop $400-500 on a custom box. The NRS raft has about a 13" drop from the floor to the top of the tube. I figure a 16" tall box will sit about 3" above the top of the frame. The 18" kitchen box may sit as high as 5" above the frame. I love the idea of squeezing a kitchen box in there but is anyone else rowing from an 18" tall drybox or cooler seat in a NRS 14er? If so is that too tall for 20" tubes? Also what size oar towers and oar length do you use? I' about 6' tall.

I'm also thinking about short side decks, just on the cooler and drybox bays. To aid in loading and unloading those heavy things, and a place to strap extra gear (again, keeping the rower's bay open on the sides). Any sturdy, non-plywood ideas for a side deck for a 18-20" span on a single rail frame? and what are you using for attachments?

Any other advice on my setup? I'd like to get any more suggestions before I order the gear.

Thanks again for this forum. Sorry for the long post and all the questions, but I am excited to finally be in a position to have my ideal setup and want to do it right. So far this group has been invaluable. Besides, playing with boats is fun!

OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013   #2

Searching for water....., Idaho
I love the E-140. Get the 16" not the 18" box if you want to sit on it, the 18" will be too tall. I use the NRS 6" oar towers and 9' oars and they work great. I wouldnt go any shorter but some will suggest a little longer. I think that 9' is great even with a load.

Great choice and good luck outfitting everything to your needs.
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
The nrs stock footbar is not going to work as a cooler mount --- the bends wont work in your favor I think someone makes a crossbar with a welded football. You might call Andy and bax. Or just add another crossbar -- the footbars can usually be found cheap on craigslist -- pm me i will tell you how to search all of craigslist for used gear

Regarding the drybox --- you dont want to go too high otherwise it will mess up your rowing geometry. also a deep 18" drybox (if someone makes one) is going to need a reinforced lid if you sit on it. You might call canyon inflatables. They make a good drybox and may have a demo unit sitting around for cheap. Much better quality than the frontier boxes and i was really happy with the demo that i bought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Agree with Avatard. The NRS footbar won't do double duty as a crossbar for your cooler. I had AAA Inflatables make a combo crossbar/footbar for me. It works great.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Good plan overall. Make your own footbar using speedrail fittings and nrs pipe. Sort of like the nrs deluxe footbar, but don't have the gap in the center bar. It won't work to use lopros right up against the cooler because they will obstruct it, fig in, and garf it. Speedrails are smooth.

I have an old thread called frame pickies. While I've changed a lot the footbar is the same.

I agree with no hard boxes in captains bay, I quit doing that a few years ago just for weight. I have a soft cooler on one side and a zip drybag on the other. The dogs did like stepping on the rocket boxes, but they manage.

Go for the shorter box. Imo kitchen boxes waste packing space. I use dre towers that are even higher than the tall nrs ones (i sit on cooler) and use 10' oars. Some may get by with 9.5' on a 14' boat, but I like 10's.

Have fun!
Old 01-31-2013   #6

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I use soft captains bags in my rowers bay... I got them from stitches n stuff and love them..

Attachment 5572

And if you want to build a footbar this might help... I run the NRS deluxe footbar on the back of the cooler bay and don't have any rubbing issues..

Attachment 5573

My brother used this to build a footbar using speed rail..
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
And if you want to build a footbar this might help... I run the NRS deluxe footbar on the back of the cooler bay and don't have any rubbing issues..
Oh, that's good. I was sure I had a conflict the one time I looked at putting the cooler there. However you could always shim the crossbar to give a bit more space, if someone found they needed to.
Old 01-31-2013   #8

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
If you are running a cooler that sits on the bars you would have a conflict for sure, hut with a drop bag or cooler hangers I don't.. and it could be the angle I like my footbar at... I'm sure if you had it at a shallow angle it would hit...
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Since we're talking frames.....I'm thinking about getting my first raft (gasp, I'm going over to the dark side) and have a question. What's the rule of thumb for space between cooler or dry box and raft floor?
KJ - The Cat Woman drawn to the Dark Side
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #10

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for all the info so far. Good tip on the footbar. I will use one of those options to combine my cooler cross bar with a footbar. I really like the look of that AAA footbar pictured above.

All of my rowing so far has been on a deck board mounted right on the frame. I think I've nixed the idea of the tall 18" kitchen box. For those of you rowing a similar boat, how tall is the box you're siting on? And how far does it ride above the top of the frame?
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote