14' raft, frame and cooler height - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-19-2018   #1

Boulder, Colorado
14' raft, frame and cooler height

Building out a gear rig for a 14' RMR and I'm struggling to decide on a cooler.

I am currently looking at these three coolers:
Where I'm struggling is I love the capacity of the RTIC but it is 21" tall. Add 1" suspension above the floor and I'm basically rocking a 22" cooler. The floor to top-of-tube measurement is ~ 11" and I have 1.5" crossbars (1.9" OD). That gives me a little more height with ~13" from top of rail to top of floor. Apply some algebra and I'm looking at ~9" inches (worst case) of cooler above my frame. That's a lot of cooler. The cooler would be in one of the front two bays of a 4 bay frame. Would like for it to be in the front bay.

I looked through as many threads as I could for advice but still didn't come to a great conclusion. Should I give up on my quest for a higher capacity cooler and go with one of the 100 qt sizes, or should I say f*!ckit and get a cooler that I may be unhappy with due to it's height.

I should also say that even though it's smaller, the Prospector definitely has my vote for design...

I've got 42" to work with between the tubes, if anyone has a better cooler recommendation I am all ears.

rscarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2018   #2

broomfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I got your same boat and have the Engel 123... let me know if you want some pics of the setup. It is a very tight fit for my setup, certainly having some weight on the floor when loaded and on the water.
neilur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018   #3

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
What is the problem with a high cooler? My coolers are 20 and 23 in tall. My frame has only 1 bay. The cooler sits in the front with the dry box behind it. I stack 3 or 4 dry bags on top of the cooler and run straps over the top from one side of the frame to the other. My wife or kids sit on top of the bags. A cushy, high, dry perch. And the cooler stays shaded and insulated.
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2018   #4

I'd wait on the Canyon Navigator. If it ends up close to the size they have listed on their size chart it looks like it might be perfect. I love the prospector in my skinny 14" but your leaving some width on the table if you go that route.

Wadeinthewater- What class of water are you running like that? That set up might be okay for easier water, some people just like a little cleaner rigging. I don't like anything over 4-5" max above the frame for a whole host of reasons.
idaho_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Having bought a prospector last year, I second waiting on the navigator. It will be an inch higher than the prospector IIRC. We got the prospector for our 14' sotar with 38" between the tubes, and it left too much gap, basically space wasted that could be more cooler volume. The Nav is listed at just under 42" wide. Puuuuurfect.
Old 06-23-2018   #6

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho_h2o View Post
Wadeinthewater- What class of water are you running like that? That set up might be okay for easier water, some people just like a little cleaner rigging.
I only use it on easier water - Rogue, Middle Fork Salmon, Selway.
Old 06-29-2018   #7

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
Check out the Kong cooler. They just came out in 2017. Looks better than my yeti and it has great reviews.
OregonianRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018   #8

Arnold, California
I had considerable debate between the Prospector & the Canyon 125. I liked that the 125 has more capacity but I also liked that the Prospector was wider and shorter. I have a 156D so the Navigator wouldn't fit since it's only ~38" between the tubes. Feature-wise I like the slots on the Prospector even though I can't let it sit directly on the bars since I run a deck board up front.

I still think that I prefer the corner slots of the Pelicans as well as their latches, but alas the dimensions/volume/price were not as conducive to my needs. I do like my Pelican 65 though for a couple day trip.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 07-04-2018   #9

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
I went from the Engel 123 to the RTIC 145. Way taller than what I was expecting and just a touch bigger in every direction. It sits in my big cat in front of me, so no huge deal for me. I will say, I think the RTIC out performs the Engel as the lid seals better. Could be that I can get more cold stuff in it and better ice management by me.
Beer Waggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018   #10

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I ran into the same problem, everything was way taller than what I wanted. I ended up going with a brand called Way Coolers, distributed by Recretrec, which IMO has the all around best dimensions to fit a 14' boat.
https://www.recretec.com/shop-1/waycoolers-mp
Pine is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooler, cooler height, raft, raft gear