14' maybe 16' Shallow Water Cataraft set up? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-19-2015   #1

Summersville, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 2013
14' maybe 16' Shallow Water Cataraft set up?

what would be best for shallow water. the driest ride possible would also be helpful. Be used alot in winter. What about the floor to water distance. I will have to center alot of rocks so the greatest distance from floor to water would also be helpful. I have researched alot but never been in a cataraft. i got a few ideas and kinda looking to see if your ideas are similiar to what i came up with. thanks

WvRiverMusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2015   #2

buckeye, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
your number one thing with low water cats is tube diameter, i would suggest maybe a lion by aire at 16foot with 27.5 inch tubes or even a Kodiak 16foot from nrs at 28 inch tubes,if you went with a drop rail frame instead of a yoke style frame you could straddle some very large rocks. realy the sky is the limit on cats
azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015   #3

Summersville, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 2013
thats what i was thinking would be my best bet. the aire lion. what is the best example of this drop rail frame. get this project going.
WvRiverMusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015   #4

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
Tube diameter and waterline length length are both key to shallow draft. The Kodiak is a good design for what you are suggesting but look hard at the Lion from Aire too. When you are truly talking low water grovelling/scraping it is very hard to beat a PVC or Urethane boat. Maravia might have some fat cats with long waterline. Jacks Plastic definitely has some too. SOTAR can build whatever you want. Hypalon is a great material that can only be beat in my opinion in one way--slipperiness over rocks. Plastic boats will slide right over rocks that will stick Hypalon boats fast.

The simplest, and easiest to come-by "tunnel" frames would be the NRS Sport Cat or Universal frame.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015   #5

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Here we go again...
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015   #6

CCC, CO
JPW "El Tigre" or "Super Daddy"
28" tubes... tons of Bouyancy
straddles like a Hummer (H1) if you don't put a deep frame on it.
benR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #7

CCC, CO
Draft vs. Load Table

Just found this very useful "draft vs. load" table for catarafts...

Jack's Plastic Welding, Inc.

While its for JPW boats, i'm sure it would apply to other makes just find the tube width and waterline.
benR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #8

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
What rivers you plan to be musky fishing in? Being in summersville I'm guessing; the New, The Elk, Gauley below Jodi and maybe lower Greenbrier?

I'm asking because I can't think of a single musky river in WV (at least in your area) that would require straddling rocks...one little part of the tygart is about the only one that comes to mind right now. None of the ones I mentioned above would.

A 16' cat is a big boat...most musky rivers it should be fine but it is still big. It's also hard to fish in a cat (less room on board is one reason)....every serious fisherman I know here in WV uses a round boat from 13 to 14 feet and believe me we do some stuff that people don't think is possible in these things...mostly for smallies and trout, so this is often even smaller water then you are looking at. One guy I can think of fishes from a cat for musky in the "dirty south", but that is because it's the only boat he has.

Fishing from cats suck...unless you have a full floor, then the thing gets heavy (my uncle rows a fully decked aire jag= PIG) and therefore you are losing your low water effectiveness. Then you get into launching the thing....many of our put ins are little more than a goat trail down slick muddy banks...a big cat is a pain. We can't take my uncles jag on half the stuff I can get my 14' roundboat to.

Also think about when you hook a musky. It's chaos! You need room to move around the boat with the fish, room to figure 8, ability to easily get to fish boat side (easier in raft), room for your net man to maneuver/chase you two,room boxes for huge flies/lures.

I'd seriously consider a bucket boat (standard floor raft). It will keep you dry, is light, drafts shallow, sealed floor so you can have gear lying around (not that I suggest you do). The serious musky fishermen and musky guides I know fish from shallow drafting jet boats.

If you insist on a cat, the largest tube diameter w/ the longest waterline. I'd second the suggestion of a urethane boat like Sotar.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #9

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
My fishing rig is a 14' Sotar ST cat with 23" tubes. It has a seat belt webbing floor and most certainly does not suck, nor is it heavy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015   #10

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
My fishing rig is a 14' Sotar ST cat with 23" tubes. It has a seat belt webbing floor and most certainly does not suck, nor is it heavy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Well in my defense I said "Fishing from cats suck...unless you have a full floor"...and you do have a floor.....sooo...therefore it doesn't suck, right?

Yeah I've seen you say that and it sounds awesome, but that is certainly the exception to the rule and that setup sounds to me about the best cat floor around....seriously (your setup in general sounds as perfect as a cat could get for me). But I've never heard of anyone else have a full seatbelt floor.....and getting to a musky boatside would still be harder among other things (hell, not much of a place to put a giant landing net)

It's not a personal attack bud...but I don't think it's a stretch to say cats are not ideal fishing rigs when compared to roundboats. If they were, you would see fishing guides rowing them and not roundboats, drift boats and jetboats. I've never ever seen a fishing guide in a cat.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataraft