13' RMR Raft capacity - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2017   #1

Ogden, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
13' RMR Raft capacity

So I am ready to pull the trigger on a new 13' RMR raft. We currently have a 13' Eclipse that has been great for 20+ years, although I have had enough of being the self bailer So after bugging Denny numerous times I have settled on the boat I want. We typically just run 2 hour day trips down the Snake River above Alpine about 3 times a day. We have lots of folks who want to run the river and in the past we have really loaded the old Eclipse down, probably near 11-12 people, with the heaviest maybe weighing in at around 200 lbs. The average person probably weighs 165 lbs. and all we take is a small cooler with about 16 drinks in it. I know most people say a 13' raft should only have 6 plus maybe a guide. My question to you is how many people do you put in your raft at once, what are some good guidelines I should be following to ensure everyone on my boat is safe. We don't have a rowing frame or any of that, 4-6 people have paddles and that's that. What do you guys think, where should I draw the line?
Thanks for any comments in advance.

Slangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2017   #2

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slangy View Post
in the past we have really loaded the old Eclipse down, probably near 11-12 people, with the heaviest maybe weighing in at around 200 lbs. The average person probably weighs 165 lbs. and all we take is a small cooler with about 16 drinks in it.
Wow, Slangy. You have to be nominated for Mexican tour bus of the year!! 11 to 12 is so far beyond my comprehension. How do you do it? For me it would be 4 people and mind blown. The madness boggles my caveman brain.
Old 07-11-2017   #3

Ogden, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Wow, Slangy. You have to be nominated for Mexican tour bus of the year!! 11 to 12 is so far beyond my comprehension. How do you do it? For me it would be 4 people and mind blown. The madness boggles my caveman brain.
Haha okay I went back and looked at some pictures. I think there is 1 time when my extended family showed up and took the boat down and there was 12 people on that boat. I felt bad for the boat to tell you the truth, it looked like it was going to sink. But running the math on our typical group when people are fighting to ride the river, I would say we max out at 10, 4 per side with 1 on each thwart.

Damn now I am thinking about it we must look like a bunch of goofy buggers
Slangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2017   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
A fairly typical rule of thumb( and in many places a rule outfitters are supposed to follow) is divide by the length of the boat by two, and then add two, so a 13' raft would max out at 8 people total, that's counting the guide.
Old 07-16-2017   #5

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Hmmm....13 ft inflatable x 8 people = deathtrap
Unless of course its used as a play pool in the back yard.
Old 07-16-2017   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by garystrome View Post
Hmmm....13 ft inflatable x 8 people = deathtrap
Unless of course its used as a play pool in the back yard.
Just don't let Gary be your guide an you will be fine! It might be a little tight but your not going to die!?
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017   #7

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2016
I've had 1800lbs of people in a 13.5 raft before. Some were 70 years old. It seems normal to me when you look at the two and a half tons of gear people take down the grand canyon.
outathaboatBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017   #8

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I have got to go with Gary on this one. Just because you can does not make it safe.
Rescuing 2 is easier than 3, 3 easier than 4, etc. etc. Commercial paddle trips are about making money and being competitive. To be competitive they have to take as many people as they think they can safely carry. If you are not trying to make money but just have fun, do not overload body wise. No one person can keep track of 6-7 people in the water and rescue them quickly before someone may at risk. Total weight is not as big of an issue as body count. Just my humble opinion.
Old 07-17-2017   #9

Willi..., Willimina, OR
8 people @180 # mass>>1440# (CG 14" avove top of boat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkashzg View Post
Just don't let Gary be your guide an you will be fine! It might be a little tight but your not going to die!?
With respect to probability, they probably wont die if they have their pfds properly rigged. However, 1440 lbs centered 14" above top the of boat represents an overturning moment. The human being a herd animal will react as a group to some approaching event and over turns the boat. Because you can do it in a pool doesn't mean you do it in the real world.

A 16 ft boat would be the minimum to class 3 and 18 ft to class 4 without addition loading.
Old 07-17-2017   #10

Willi..., Willimina, OR
North Africans Crossing the Med Mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by garystrome View Post
With respect to probability, they probably wont die if they have their pfds properly rigged. However, 1440 lbs centered 14" above top the of boat represents an overturning moment. The human being a herd animal will react as a group to some approaching event and over turns the boat. Because you can do it in a pool doesn't mean you do it in the real world.

A 16 x 7 ft boat would be the minimum to class 3 and 18 x 8 ft to class 4 without addition loading.
It seems that some of the folks get their raft advice from a sales man (or sales woman) (inherent flaw in logic). How many North Africans in the last 4 years died because they got their advice from the Somali raft salesman.