13.5 ' raft options - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-03-2017   #1

North Central, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1998
13.5 ' raft options

I've been looking at thirteen and a half foot boats. Want a narrower boat that can still hold some gear. I've whittled it down to a hyside pro 13.5, NRS E 136, and Aire 136 DD. Basically, I want a good day boat that I can row on smaller rivers and something I can take on overnighters and handle some gear. Kind of a Upper C, Gunnison, Chama, Taos Box/Rio, San Juan Rig.

I store my boats rolled and have had a hyside for six years or so ( picked up used and do for retirement). I'm leaning towards Hyside or NRS for the hypalon rollability and storing rolled. Most of my experience has been with NRS and Hyside. The NRS is heaviest in class (134) and hyside lightest (113).

I've never rowed an Aire. Friends who have them seem pleased. I would have to figure something out to be able to store it inflated . The 10 year "no questions asked" warranty sounds awesome. It's also the least expensive in the lot and made in America, which I appreciate.

If I got a good deal on any of them that's what I'd take first. Looked at Sotar too but I dont have that kind of scratch for a boat.

Any experiences or thoughts are appreciated.

Dsuth82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2017   #2

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
I'd get the AIRE:
-American made
-Outstanding warranty & company
-Very serviceable & repairable boats if something happens (and you can carry a spare bladder if you are so inclined).
-I like their standard floor option which gives you extra ballast at the expense of a minute bit of agility.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 04-03-2017   #3

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeyCatr View Post
I'd get the AIRE:
-American made
-Outstanding warranty & company
-Very serviceable & repairable boats if something happens (and you can carry a spare bladder if you are so inclined).
-I like their standard floor option which gives you extra ballast at the expense of a minute bit of agility.
I agree with every point, though on the rivers of the WestSlope of CO and the Utah runs we frequent, I got the sealed floor pockets and have been thrilled...
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2017   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
With the current 15% off promo Aire is doing, I'm right on the edge of buying a 136dd myself. Looks like my perfect boat and AIRE is pretty legendary for its build quality and willingness to hold to their warranty. I really like the design of the 136dd too, with it being small but still having lots of room and cargo capacity.

If you are gonna get one, do it before April 9th when the promo is over.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017   #5

Electric, where did you find this promo? Is there a code? I checked Aire's web page but didn't see any deals.
Old 04-03-2017   #6

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
It's on the AIRE home page on the flash screen. It says phone your local AIRE dealer or AIRE themselves for more details.

Old 04-03-2017   #7

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
https://m.facebook.com/AIREwhitewate...pe=3&source=54

Old 04-03-2017   #8

Found it. Thanks! I was just looking at the actual boat prices and checkout.
Old 04-03-2017   #9

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
DRE has their aire boats at the sale price right now, and it's there spring fling this weekend. If I had to pick from that list I would go hyside personally. I like hypalon and the material of the pro series is as bomber as it gets. Light, rolls easy. I have never understood how nrs e series boats command the price they do when hyside pro is lighter, cheaper, and thicker material by far. That being said I do have an nrs e series and think it's an awesome boat, but I have seen hysides take sooooo much abuse for a lot of years on commercial runs that's what I would go with. Pretty much can't loose with that list though, get a good deal and go have fun.
Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017   #10

I like the hysides too. Lighter and will store rolled well. I hear grumbling that hyside's quality has gone down. The one I currently have is a late 90s model and it has seen some heavy use. I'm in the process of refurbing it, but its at that age/wear where reliability is a concern.