12V raft pumps - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-22-2014   #1

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
12V raft pumps

The end has come for my English made 20 year old LVM 12V air pump. I have tried a rebuild, but the spirit no longer moves it, plus it was originally used for canoe and kayak airbags and now I travel in a rolled 14' Vanguard self-bailer.

I see from the NRS site that there are now much more capable pumps, but they are also out of their 12V Bravo, plus the reviews on Amazon for it aren't great. The new ones seem to come with much higher pressure capacity (the LVM did #1.75 on a hot day), and spiffy auto pressure features. But do they work, reliably, and which are better and best? Opinions please.

Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2014   #2

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I have the NRS blast. It works fine. Take about 5 minutes to blow up the boat. It still needs a top off, but that is as advertised. I have blown up 2 boats one after another. I don't think it would be good to blow up 3 or 4 boats back to back due to overheating.
Fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014   #3

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
http://downriverequip.com/index.php/...ator-pump.html
I have had this pump since 1994. I bought it with my first new raft (Aire Puma). It works. It will fill all the boats at the put in one right after the other but you do need to top them off.
The key to not burning pumps from overheating is to NOT turn them off until they have cooled. Those other pumps will keep going just let them run a bit without a load. They are air cooled.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014   #4

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I use an small electric leaf blower (thrift store) and a voltage inverter, something like this.

Sears.com

plus...

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-P.../dp/B0050VFA8G

I find the voltage inverter useful for other tasks, and can easily blow up several boats in a row. The blower is rated for continuous operation and has more than enough power for 4 boats in a row.
kengore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014   #5

Arco, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I have thought a gas powered leaf blower would work pretty good. Our groups method for years has been a small generator with one of those big red 110v blowers. Works great, but have been looking into the leaf blower for my own trips, plus it's smaller and cheaper than our group setup.
Atomicrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014   #6

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I haven't had very good luck with small gas engines since ethanol became mandatory. They gunk up way too frequently and require a lot more cleaning of the carbs than they used to. I'd take a look at lithium battery leaf blowers- prices have been dropping and I think the power is pretty good.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014   #7

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1990
I have been using a Makita 18v blower. The end of it fits perfectly into the valves on my cat and raft. Works great , fast and no cord. It is the best. Very versatile, I can blow all the crap out of the raft at the end of trip so I get a clean roll up and I love it. It is fast. I all ready had Makita tools so the blower was only 99 bucks + the battery and charger but I bet is cheaper that generators. One battery fills up 1 and 14 ft.ers. Does not top but what blower does. Generators suck at put in.
Villainista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014   #8

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1990
http://http://www.makitatools.com/en...x?Name=DUB182Z
fastest bower in the West
Villainista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
I haven't had very good luck with small gas engines since ethanol became mandatory. They gunk up way too frequently and require a lot more cleaning of the carbs than they used to. I'd take a look at lithium battery leaf blowers- prices have been dropping and I think the power is pretty good.

Man you guys can't get full gasoline out in liberal land. Around here the mom n pop gas stations mostly all sell "real gas" along side of the E10. It's generally $.10 more a gallon.

Anyway, I bought a mini shop vac designed for your auto. I do most of my shopping at bargain stores. Pretty sure I paid $6 for it. It doesn't blow really high psi but its quick and sucks air equally well. Then I just top it off with my little shitty handpump which was equally cheap.... The 12v shopvac is real handy after a few muddy leafy shuttle trips too.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014   #10

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
At altitude the octane requirements are lower- mid grade here is 87 octane for example. I think that lends itself to ethanol. We have isolated stations that offer the real stuff- but you really pay for it.

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote